CA-SRF-Hill??

https://ops.alertcalifornia.org/cam-console/1800

Anyone have any info on this smoke? It looks too far South to be Shelly Fire.

2 Likes

Could it be last night’s Hill fire?

3 Likes

Based on WD Map and Aircraft activity in the last hour, I’d say you were spot-on @DogBone

3 Likes

It is the SRF-Hill Fire, 30 acres and judging by the smoke, more than that now. . Multiple air tankers, and helicopters working it. The Shelly Fire also gave up some crews to respond.

4 Likes

Update on Conditions. 70 acres with a 1/2 acre spot on the wrong side of the river. Will be completing a complexity analysis and will probably be ordering a team to complex the SRF Fires.

4 Likes

I think they are managing it as a complex as there were several starts after lightning went through yesterday afternoon. I started a CA-SRF/HUU-July Complex thread Q&A thread yesterday.

4 Likes

125 acres, active fire behavior with short range spotting.

2 Likes

Looking like it found alignment on the cam…
https://ops.alertcalifornia.org/cam-console/1800

4 Likes

Yeah, popping an icecap on this cam:
https://ops.alertcalifornia.org/cam-console/1811

4 Likes

Similar to some of the August 2022 SRF Lightning complex fires these strikes were just slightly farther west/closer to the coast with less fire history in some of those spots. Right near the ridges where the marine layer pushes inland most nights. edit: The link above that pyro just posted shows that well.

6 Likes

SRF-Hill fire extended frequencies assigned today:

Air Tactics FM: 167.0625
Air/Ground: 170.3125 and 159.450 t192.8 (CDF A/G13). Not sure if they’re taking both for A/G CMD and A/G TAC, or SRF and HUU both put in duplicate orders and they’re only using one.
AM Victors: 118.775, 120.025

3 Likes

With the rapid spread of this fire to the North, would Willow Creek be the biggest threat for impact to communities? I don’t see a ton of large towns in the area.

5 Likes

The fire (red squares) is bounded to north by 2022 Ammon Fire (purple). The area to the east burned in the 2008 Hell’s Half Fire (light blue).
Willow Creek is in the right side of this view. South Fork Trinity River is foreground.

Latest VIIRs shows the fire has run the drainage and is closer to 1,500 acres, (heat in the column often fools the sensors, but it seems reasonable that it has run the drainage).

6 Likes

The 2021 Knob Fire is also between this fire and Willow Creek.

I’m only judging this on satellite heat and perimeters, but it appears to be pushing west, not north.

4 Likes

Anyone know where base camp is?

1 Like

Yes willow creek would be threatened.

3 Likes

Or north and west. I agree. The fire history info doesn’t show northwest.

Some very rugged land out there.

5 Likes

Yeah, the fog influence shows up really clearly on the fire history map, I think.
Once you get into the grassy/prairie ridgetops, tankers and dozers have been really effective here in the past, too.

8 Likes

Fingers crossed for that marine layer smackdown on this one asap…

3 Likes

Most of the large fires in this part of the state in past 20 years have been controlled once they hit the nearest major ridge. Between high humidity recoveries and lack of major winds, they don’t usually move downhill very well in the summer.

6 Likes