CA-STF-Donnell

AA states smoke has clear enough to lift two type 2 copters up and request them
to come up donnell lake.

1 Like

8/7 evening update from South Ops is ~ 13,814 acres (+2,470 for ops period) and 5% contained (+3% for ops period). Sounds like the day-long inversion helped slow things down (although little to no air support was available until near end of daylight).

6 Likes

S2’s been flying over the house in Twain Harte since 0845. Heading up the hill towards Kenndy. Hope the air stays clear for they can get some air support through the day.

1 Like

I cannot access FlightRadar24 due to internet issues. I am getting messages that the DC-10 has made several runs, there 3 tankers and several Helis up there.
Personnel is over 500.
New Evac Advisory for Mill and Cascade Creek GD’s.
Haypress On Eagle Mdw Rd and Kennedy are ok at this time.
FS has plan to protect the Bennett Juniper.
Stay Safe All. Thank You :woman_firefighter:t2::man_firefighter:

4 Likes

A more difficult day today… South Ops evening update (8/8/18) @1930 reports: 17,941 acres (up by 4,127 acres from yesterday); 4% contained (down from 5% yesterday). Conditions this ops period: Active fire behavior with flanking, backing, and uphill runs.

Some stats from other sites (mostly inciweb, which sometimes can be lagging real-time):
STRUCTURES THREATENED= 220
STRUCTURES DESTROYED= 55
INJURIES/ACCIDENTS= 0
MINOR STRUCTURES DESTROYED=81

TOTAL PERSONNEL: 563

3 Likes

Bennett Juniper is OK.

4 Likes

Per August 9th Sit Report
Total Acreage: 19,941
24 Increase: 4127
Containment: 4%
Total Personal Assigned: 563 (7 Crews / 35 Engines / 3 Helicopters)
Structures Lost: 136

Looking to east on map headed to Disaster Peak

Update inciweb report

A post was merged into an existing topic: CA-STF-Donnell??

Most recent map…image

4 Likes

25% Containment
28,752 acres burned
817 personnel assigned
Demonstrating that progress is being make, unified command with Cal Fire has been terminated.

also here’s a great video piece from Modesto Bee. https://www.modbee.com/latest-news/article216638975.html

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: CA-STF-Donnell??

The Donnell fire is just shy of 32,000 acres and is 49% contained.
Highway 108 was reopened in both directions this morning. Structural and cultural threats along the south side of the Highway 108 corridor (Kennedy Meadows, Bennett Juniper, Juniper Mine superfund area, etc) have been mitigated. The fire continues moving north and east into the Carson/Iceberg Wilderness from Iceberg Meadow, Iceberg Peak area to the base of Disaster Peak, then west past Arnot Meadow to Wheats Meadow. It is contained along Spicer Meadows Reservoir, but is continuing to burn south of the reservoir and around Whitakers Dardanelles. There is still a type 1 copter and a helitanker flying out of Columbia and the occasional tanker flight. The fire is making occasional runs in the deerbrush, pj, and lodgepole; but is getting more and more into granite.

4 Likes

West winds today at 10-12 gusting to 18. That’s in alignment with slope and aspect. Currently radar shows T914, 4 MAFFS, 2 S61 Type 1 helo, and a helitanker working the fire. Not sure on much else, my scanner doesn’t reach that far I’m afraid

2 Likes

I heard that a type 2 team is now taking over incident instead of the fire going back to the forest. Anybody have info on this? Thanks.

Fogle is supposed to inbrief at 2000 tonight

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: CA-STF-Donnell??

Per Inciweb a Type 2 helicopter crashed this afternoon. Pilot was injured, not seriously. I understand that there are a couple of spot fires quite a ways in front of the main fire and base camp is moving tomorrow to Bear Valley off of highway 4.

1 Like

9/6 eve info:
36,400 ac, 87%

Some assets from Donnell assisted with new start on forest off Hwy 108 today (in addition to continued assistance with Boot Fire from from 9/5). Potential exists for minimal spread to the north and east along Highlands Creek, Arnot Creek, and Disaster Creek drainage via spotting. Minimal fire spread, but spotting will remain a concern as weather heats up next two days.

1 Like