CA-STF-Donnell

There a Public briefing today at 17:00 in Pinecrest at the amphitheater about the fire. A lot of those structure lost along with the resort were in the meadow!!!

2 Likes

Does anyone know number of resources. Last I heard it was difficult getting them

Ranger came by Union Reservoir to advise us of the conditions. We are three miles north at this point. Said there were only 5 handcrews and a few engines with air attack operating as conditions warrant. Been socked in with smoke all day so I doubt there has been much air support

4 Likes

I am so sad. When the Berkeley Tuoloume Camp went up during the Rim fire and now this. I spent my childhood in these two places. Made me become a FF with the USFS. So sad.

3 Likes

Anyone have a link to tonight’s infrared flight?
8/6?

Won’t be available until tomorrow. Right now N40Y is mapping the holy fire.

1 Like

Mon (8/6) 9 PM update reports it at 13,200 acres and 2%; other excerpts:

COMMAND TEAM: Central Coast Interagency Incident Management Team will be in Unified Command with the Tuolumne County Sherriff’s Office, and the Tuolumne County Fire Dept. as of 7 pm this evening.

TOTAL PERSONNEL: 410 5 Hand Crews, 3 Helicopters, 12 Engines
Evacuations=1,120; Structures Threatened=235; Structures Destroyed=15; Injuries=0

Today, the fire spread minimally with no substantial acreage growth due to the inversion layer which kept the winds much lower than previous days. However, air resources were unable to assist firefighters with water drops.

The Highway 108 closure has been extended from Kennedy Meadows to Sonora Pass. The Pacific Crest Trail is closed between Highway 108 and Highway 4 until further notice.

Mandatory Evacuations: Highway 108 at Eagle Meadow Road to Kennedy Meadows (all residences and campgrounds), Eagle Meadow Road (5NO1).

1 Like

Is this fire still considered to under initial attack with a Type 2 team assigned?

IA disappears after the first 24 hours per the CA Mobilization Guide. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks… I’m just wondering why this fire if still showing up in the “Initial Attack” section of the California forum. I believe it should be moved to the “Continuing Fires” section.

Not sure. Just getting to understand this great forum operates myself.

Air to Ground Command is National Air Tactics 84 168.3375
Helco says he has 2 medium copters to deploy this morning

1 Like

Per meeting 8/7. There are 3 Calfire engines and crews up there. Limited resources so they are only doing structure proction at that time. Fire is pretty much doing its pun thing. The horses at Kennedy were taken to back country yesterday.
Yesterday’s maps appear t show fire up to Pidgeon Flat 5 miles from Kennedy.
Most everything from Clarks Fork up is probably toast, Wild Rose Cabin, c.1880’s, was wrapped at Kennedy’s. Hoping there is a plan for Bennett Juniper, largest in US, to keep it safe in Eagle Meadows area.
Be Safe All

1 Like

AA states smoke has clear enough to lift two type 2 copters up and request them
to come up donnell lake.

1 Like

8/7 evening update from South Ops is ~ 13,814 acres (+2,470 for ops period) and 5% contained (+3% for ops period). Sounds like the day-long inversion helped slow things down (although little to no air support was available until near end of daylight).

6 Likes

S2’s been flying over the house in Twain Harte since 0845. Heading up the hill towards Kenndy. Hope the air stays clear for they can get some air support through the day.

1 Like

I cannot access FlightRadar24 due to internet issues. I am getting messages that the DC-10 has made several runs, there 3 tankers and several Helis up there.
Personnel is over 500.
New Evac Advisory for Mill and Cascade Creek GD’s.
Haypress On Eagle Mdw Rd and Kennedy are ok at this time.
FS has plan to protect the Bennett Juniper.
Stay Safe All. Thank You :woman_firefighter:t2::man_firefighter:

4 Likes

A more difficult day today… South Ops evening update (8/8/18) @1930 reports: 17,941 acres (up by 4,127 acres from yesterday); 4% contained (down from 5% yesterday). Conditions this ops period: Active fire behavior with flanking, backing, and uphill runs.

Some stats from other sites (mostly inciweb, which sometimes can be lagging real-time):
STRUCTURES THREATENED= 220
STRUCTURES DESTROYED= 55
INJURIES/ACCIDENTS= 0
MINOR STRUCTURES DESTROYED=81

TOTAL PERSONNEL: 563

3 Likes

Bennett Juniper is OK.

4 Likes

Per August 9th Sit Report
Total Acreage: 19,941
24 Increase: 4127
Containment: 4%
Total Personal Assigned: 563 (7 Crews / 35 Engines / 3 Helicopters)
Structures Lost: 136