CA-YNP-Red & Rodgers & Sept Lightning???

167 acres per SOPS. Active fire behavior, isolated torching and short range spotting.

6 Likes

Edit I stand corrected

OES Intel 12, Aug 12th on the #RedFire, Yosemite National Park. Fire is mapped at 167 acres at 18:04 hours.

Interesting because Yosemite Fire and Aviation is estimating 50 acres and Scott Gediman put out 30 acres

Fire In Yosemite Fire In Yosemite | myMotherLode.com

2 Likes

3 Likes

I see that on the flight tracker now. I will correct my post, thanks.

1 Like

I thought that was the Dixie

3 Likes

Peak tourist season for Yosemite and smoked out again: ā€œManaged for the benefit of natural and cultural resourcesā€

5 Likes

Firis Cal OES 12 plane over the fire today:

6 Likes

Seriously?

2 Likes

I thought it was the tamarack, or the Creek, or whatever fire some internet incident commander mentioned in a Facebook post.:grin:

6 Likes

Park Service has this map but itā€™s low on landmark details: (you can zoom in)
https://nps.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=6e3a51b65876485ea1f63c377a57b7f3

Then Caltopo has this with landmarks and features:
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.66192,-119.45992&z=13&b=t&o=f16a%2Cr&n=1,0.25&a=mba%2Cfire%2Cmodis_mp

2 Likes

Tamarack. dixie was SRA they almost had dixie in IA but drone grounded aircraft early and a spot across caused everything else really. Creek was bad access and they had issues getting into it. Tamarack was monitored due to its location being in steep rock and it was deemed unsafe to put crews on the ground in the orgin.

12 Likes

#RedFire #YosemiteNationalPark. Map shows MODIS/VIIRS satellite heat detections. Map also has 20+ #GIS layers you can turn on/off/restack. For help see 2 links upper left corner. #Yosemite

Open #GISsurfer map: bit.ly/3dubDP2

1 Like

So much Iā€™d like to say here but I donā€™t post my opinions :unamused::sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I get the sense from many that they want the NPS to be punished for something, and I donā€™t understand why or what.

16 Likes

Smoke? In the Sierras in summer? Reality.
If tourists donā€™t want that go to Disneyland.

16 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting - this wasnā€™t on my radar. I was south of the area (in Sequoia NP) on August 4 and can confirm there was a fair amount of lightning during the day (I could hear the crackles on the radio) followed by a good overnight soaking. This was the same monsoon that wiped out Death Valley. I was unaware that system had started any fires.

Iā€™ve hiked (cross-country) and camped within the area of this burn. Itā€™s choked with brush and a maze of fallen trees on the ground, as you can see in some of the photos and video. Under normal conditions, this burn would be considered beneficial, at least so far, knock on wood.

Itā€™s hemmed in by granite to the E and SE and thereā€™s another couple walls slightly to the N. As long as it doesnā€™t jump Illilouette Creek, that would complete a manageable containment zone. Fingers crossed on this one. When Glacier Point Road reopens in 2024 it could make for some easier hiking.

12 Likes
4 Likes

#Redfire has grown to 167 acres and was active yesterday while burning through pockets of fuels from the 2001 Hoover fire (fuels being anything that can burn- leaves, twigs, grasses, trees). Fire behavior has diminished today as the fire moved into different fuel (red fir timber stand).
NPS photo showing flames from the lightning caused Red fire.

16 Likes

Here is an aerial overview.

17 Likes

Thanks for your great work. Thatā€™s a really interesting shot. So thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been walking through. It took me a moment to figure it out. To the east of the fire, the darker spots that look like lakes are the shadows from the higher peaks. Water is fairly scarce in that area, even in a good year.

9 Likes