CAL FIRE FAE hiring/offers

Job offers are supposed to start tomorrow. Curious if anyone else is going to be waiting by the phone the next few weeks. Feel free to drop any info or offers you may receive!

Rank 2 fed guy. Got my CDL, CPAT, PSFA, Confined Space, FRO, and a shit ton of nwcg certs. Current assistant engine captain with engine boss/crew boss.

No EMT or State FFT1 sadly.

1 Like

John, lack of EMT isn’t the end of the world as long as you have an acceptable PSFA. It will somewhat limit you depending on where you want to work, mostly schedule A. Feel free to PM me the details if your not sure. The lack of the FFI is gonna hurt a bit but units can get you there depending on needs. I would encourage you to try and get it through an academy, a lot of them have scholarship opportunities. Good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you I really appreciate the response and info! I am ready and willing to start fresh for the opportunity. I know I wouldn’t see much fire my first year but I know all the training and investment in me would be worth it! I applied to all the units.

1 Like

What I find amazing right now is units are offering Permanent FAE jobs to people who indicated on their application the willingness to work in a unit, but then turn down the job. Not just 1 or 2, but multiple jobs being offered with no takers.

1 Like

That’s a bummer to hear. I haven’t gotten a single call yet. I would say yes in an instant to an FAE position. I’m going to be really bummed if I don’t get a call.

2 Likes

I believe the people turning down offers are not getting the offer in one of their top 3, let alone top 5 choices to work.

Now that units are not allowing people to transfer out of unit till they have completed JAC. People are being more selective with where they are willing to work to avoid “The high 5, I-5”

2 Likes

candidates are primarily being offered their top choice, that’s what is frustrating.

1 Like

Do you know if offers are still going out and for how long? I’ll take a call from any unit lol.

1 Like

Heard a buddy of mine got hired he is a vet and is with the feds and has his CDL. I currently have my Class A Tankers and have worked with the feds for 4 years up and down California also ran an inmate crew in Nevada for a year before I left due to budget cuts and I’m on my first season with CAL FIRE I’m hoping I get a call soon. Word on the block is they are planning on hiring everyone on the list I hope that’s true.

4 Likes

Which unit?

1 Like

Does anyone know if they are still going on and what units are doing them? Also do they offer on weekends too or will they pick back up on Monday?

1 Like

Two of my firefighters from my crew got offers, one to Riverside one to Berdoo. Both have all the certs, licenses, and 4-5 seasons as a FF1 with the state.

The FAE rank is getting stacked so it’s going to become harder and harder to get a job where you want, plus there are a lot of FAE’s that took jobs up north that are going to transfer down south this year. If you are looking at getting into the agency you might have to commute up north for two years then transfer south if you want to work in the bottom three units, or stack your certs so your resume is better.

Rank doesn’t matter, the units can hire from ranks 1, 2, or 3. What matters is certs you turned in and how much information is on your resume.

Offers only go out Monday through Friday and the offices are closed on holidays.

the FAE rank is stacking up and a lot of the FAE’s on the A side don’t really have a desire to promote. The money isn’t a huge difference and the responsibility is 10x more.

The tide is turning and the abundance of badges are starting to run out. Trains leaving the station so start running to jump on or get left behind.

4 Likes

Darn. Kind of bummed but get it.

Rank 2 fed kook here, PFSA, Confined, Hazmat, CDL, CPAT, Crew boss and engine boss with 10 years in that I feel like I have wasted now. I should have left last year when all my friends did but my wife just had a baby I couldn’t take an offer with the post partum depression she was in.

Looks like I am community college academy bound at 36 lol.

1 Like

How many units did you apply to?

1 Like

When did they get their offers?

2 Likes

use this thread for discussion of Cal Fire hiring/offers.

1 Like

:man_facepalming:there’s already about 3 of these that have been merged into 1. I’m not even sure why they are being created if there’s no important information being shared about specific timelines or legitimate questions regarding the process.

2 Likes

that’s the exact reason why i created it for some legitimate news. hoping these gets that.

1 Like

Anyone getting calls

1 Like

1 Like