CAL FIRE FAE

Yes if another test was coming out. At this point I can only get perm from this point on with this current list. Now if the department does a new list then yes you have to keep going til you’ve got the golden ticket!

It still applies bro, in fact they did that so they could choose the most qualified candidate instead of the best test taker (just what I’ve heard). The department is hiring the best test takers through this process but it’s not proving to be the best experience rising to the top. Cats with 7 plus years that have families and haven’t been in school in 10 plus years are no match for little Johnny living at home going to school for the past 3 or 4 years. So you have 23/24 year old FAE’s telling a 34 yr old firefighter what’s up and it’s proving to be not the best result (if it were they wouldn’t have done it this way this time around). Just speculation on my part so take it for what it is.

4 Likes

That was my take on it as well. Just wanted to see if anybody had clarification on it not just speculation. Thanks for the info man!

1 Like

And I heard CPAT is requirment as well? Where can we find all these requirements? Besides word of mouth? Are they written anywhere?

1 Like

Rule of 3’s? Sorry

CAL FIRE hires people in the top 3 ranks, since this test only has three ranks they can choose who they want from any of the three ranks. So the most qualified people have action (theoretically). Now the Admin chief can choose someone in rank 3 because they’re “reachable” and they know them rather than wait until they’re reachable.

1 Like

This is the list region sent me that you needed. Keep in mind I already had COA. You need these items I hand when you get your job offer.

2 Likes

Thanks buddy!

1 Like

It’s means that many FF with 3-5 years experience get past over by someone with 2-3 years education and maybe one season experience.
Experience trumps education when it comes to the position. Too many FAE being hired with all the certs and little or no experience.

5 Likes

Yes Sir, and it’s starting to show…………Nothing wrong with education(that’s a good thing), but it needs to be back up with some practical experience.

3 Likes

If I can make a suggestion. Class B with haz mat endorsement is a good idea to get. The fire fighter endorsement is good but you won’t be able to drive the heli tender if it is offered

4 Likes

Good call, not a lot of cats get that and so if you have it you’re that much more valuable to have

1 Like

And if you happen to be on the FC list (even though this is an FAE thread) don’t rule out going to camp. There are dozens of open camp positions across the state. It’s the best job in Cal Fire… and the worst😂

8 Likes

This was the first time I took the FAE exam and passed. How long do I have to get these certifications by the time I have to submit these documents? Do they get submitted with the application? Thank you.

You need to have your certifications and documents ready at time of appointment. People have been offered jobs only to have the offer rescinded weeks later because they were unable to get their CPAT. My recommendation, have your certs and CPAT before the phone calls start rolling out sometime early next year.

3 Likes

I have always “suggested” to my folks - Get a FULL class B with a passenger endorsement, if possible. And if you plan on applying for the FAE test, get your license / certs BEFORE they call you. I can’t count how many FF’s I’ve known trying to get their Class B before their academy date. If you’re going to test, be ready for the results!

3 Likes

Thank you for the insight! The main one I might have an issue getting is the license one. I am not part of a fire department at the moment. Any thoughts on which license would I be able to obtain the quickest or at least before the deadline? I also have several certs from my time with the US forest service. Do you also happen to know what classes make up the basic firefighter certificate for cal fire? Thank you.

If I remember right when they fly the new posting it’ll have a link that has a list of acceptable certs. When you send in your app you send in a copy of all of the acceptable certs you have.

Try your damdest to get that DL before January. If you’re not affiliated with a department right now go get the Commercial B with endorsements (tanker, air brakes and as suggested haz mat and passenger). You might have to go to a trucking school and give up a few weekends but I guarantee you, people are going to lose out because they didn’t have their L’s in order. Happens EVERY time!

4 Likes

Congratulations to all of those that passed the FAE exam for the 2020 season. I talked to a clerk in region and the word is the FAE job posting will be out the second week of October. So keep your eyes posted and get your certs in order! Your certs and experience are going to weigh heavily on this next hiring because there are only three ranks. Best of luck to all

2 Likes