CALFIRE proposed MOU changes

In my personal opinion this contract is a joke. The general salary increases are largely off set by inflation. Estimate a 400 dollar increase in GSI. 75 for education incentive. 1 percent for OBEB. 260 for healthcare.

Inflation wipes out most if not all of the 400. The cost for most healthcare plans went up by more than 260. So figure you’re making 100 bucks extra month before taxes.

The contract does nothing to help staffing or compaction.

Lastly, minimum wage in California goes up in January by .50. Firefighters we’re already getting a 150 dollar raise without the union.

4 Likes

Unless there is some stellar reasoning that comes out in the near future I will be voting no on the ratification. I know we can do better, and this contract leaves way too much unanswered.

4 Likes

That’s a great point that I’ve been trying to tell people each of the last few contracts.

Many L2881 members look at what’s sold to us as a “phenomenal” deal and the best we could ever get and eat it up.

In my opinion, folks saw the 18% plus increases in the 2017 agreement and bought the fact that we were actually making progress.

In reality, where were we in 2021 at the end of that “phenomenal” agreement? Well, still a minimum wage fire department needing to beg for another 2.5% just to say above the $15 minimum.

I get that gains were made elsewhere by bringing FFIs and BCs to a 56 hour divisor, but, guess what? Had the divisor not changed, CalHR would have had to increase wages even more than the 18% we ended up getting. To me it’s all smoke and mirrors…I don’t see how they could have given us less and still met minimum wage.

I’m watching the state scientists in Unit 10 hold their ground, going two years without a contract in an effort to achieve pay equity, saying they’re 43% underpaid compare to their counterparts. As I noted above, hour for hour, we’re 59% underpaid.

At convention, President Edwards and many of the other speakers talked about how the public image of firefighters is extremely positive right now. We’re coming off back to back “worst fire seasons ever” 5 or more years straight.

I see no reason we should settle for a contract that not only doesn’t keep up with inflation, but also allows us to remain a minimum wage fire department.

It seems we have many things in our favor…historically busy fire seasons…rampant attrition…countless employees going out with mental health and family issues…broad public support…legislators offering support…a supportive Governor…a Director that seems to understand the plight of the Rank and File…the list goes on.

If we don’t make a stand now, when will we?

In my mind, CalHR cannot give any less. They have to keep up with minimum wage.

Again, please show me where I’m wrong.

6 Likes

You guys and gals that are dues paying members better have more than one chapter meeting and get this new MOU explained in detail. See what was given up and what is going to be gained. 66 hour, where did that come from? Last but not least getting rid of the 3% @ 50. We bargain long and hard for that and some how it was pissed away. What a mistake!

8 Likes

The two most popular insurance plans are expected to increase 14-17% next year also. So the health care bumb is a break even at best

3 Likes

This is a great point that I would like to expand upon. When a contract expires, it does not go away. As long as we are negotiating in good faith your contract provisions and protections remain in place. Many times the waiting game is exactly what they are banking on to save money for them. At a prior agency, we went without a new contract for almost 18 months but remained in negotiations and it was a truly phenomenal new contract, with huge backpay. I am not saying that will happen here but I have never seen anything great come from a first pass ratification.

Educate your firefighters about the ratification process and reach out to your union folks to clarify some points. Ensure you are making an informed decision for your ratification vote.

3 Likes

I know of one local gov dept that gave up raises for 6-7 years to sign 3@50. The benefits to our well being were huge in being able to get out while our bodies can still be fixed up or not badly damaged at all.

Then with heavy financing and campaigning from special interest like the Koch brothers, the decision was left to the voters who had no clue to the literal blood, years of wrangling, and take aways that led to 3@50. The govt negotiators had to be rotfltao that they gave up nothing and had the new system in law, so can’t be changed by mou.

Protect what we have, gains we have made, knowing the price that was paid!

3 Likes

All post on this thread are spot on. 2881 members agreed to a 56 with no compensation loss. The 66hr is a start but as stated above with have an effect on the EDWC. I believe this is not what the members agreed to at convention.
This is my option what should have been in the agreement.

1. 72 across the board not just HFEO, we have to quite nickel and dime things as the members have said.
  2. Pay raise so we are completing with local FD to keep our employees in place.
  3. Along with that an increase to keep up with COLA.
  4. Make the committee to get the ball rolling for a 56 hr increase.
  5. Some sore of position ratio, meaning for ex amount of DC or BC we have personnel on the Engines/ Crews /Dozers etc. This is not a dig at those Supervisor positions. I feel we never have enough to keep our blue booked resources staffed. Let along any additional resources staffed though out the summer.

Lastly. I have a concern with CPF/IAFF as they were banging a HARD drum at convention as to they talk to Newsome and he agrees we need a reduce on our work week etc, but nothing from giving CPF/IAFF together 4.5 million a year from dues has shown influence or benefit from them “With us”.

But have if we ride public transit to work we can right that off 100%. “Joke”

Stay safe and keep heads up we’re all in this roller coaster together.

8 Likes

Yes we may want to think about leavining iaff or cpf or both. Alot of talk and fancy photo ops, haven’t had our back, especially with Covid

5 Likes

Ive researched the “take” of the 3% at 50, I stated some wrong things in the past about it, but I have learned my lesson. I would gladly personally take pre-2017 wages, in trade for 3% at 50. That is huge. One of the largest FD’s in the nation that spends probably the most money on Occupational cancer research, asking you to work 7 years longer for less money. And I just found out we have to wait until 52 to even retire early, 2.2 at 52 and up .1% every year till 57. Hell I was just planning on going at 50 with the 2%. Cant even do that now.

1 Like

We have always taken a back seat to everything. It’s time to stand up. I know nothing about this contract being retired. I am not going to sit here a bad mouth this and that. Even thou the Public Transit one was pretty Ripe. Take public transit out to Skull Creek. But what I will say it’s up to the membership to educate themselves and others about a MOU period. And when you have 400 dues paying members and less than 10 show up to a chapter meeting. Well, maybe when you find out the grass was not greener it’s on you. Go to the meeting and ask questions, a lot of them!

6 Likes

here are some other thoughts from a dumb fireman,

If you’ve been following alone with negotiations within the the state. We aren’t the only BU that is working on a new contract. But what other BU’s do is release to their membership what is being offered by the state. Please go check out “r/castateworkers”. But suffice it to say, the contract we are faced with is nearly the same pay increase that others were first offered. So for our union to claim that this was hard fought for seems a little disingenuous. Which also brings up another crock of crap. Our unions policy to not release negotiation information. How can a membership make an educated decision if the union is hiding all the facts. The offer sheets from the CALHR exist and why cant we see them??

Last year the union signed a one year extension to extend out negotiations to get us to this point. Can anyone explain what exactly it bought us? The union reps that I work with have made it very clear this was the big contract that would make sweeping changes to the department. But when you read the language of the proposal. Any increase in overtime or a fiscal emergency can put a hold on the new shift pattern. I bring that up to say, when is the governor ever used executive power to wield power over his citizens cough cough covid. The CDC released updated guidance on covid testing and vaccines over a week ago. Yet we continue to enforce out dated “science”.

I would encourage everyone to vote no. This contract is just another step backwards. But I can guarantee if I hear our union leadership say, “we will get a better contract next time” I’ll be leaving the union. I honestly dont understand the need for this union to exist. It literally collects money. Shows none of the negotiations then says its the best we can do. Well prove it. I have no doubt that the initial offer from CALHR is nearly identical to what we are being presented with.

4 Likes

The lack of transparency from our union is appalling. Claiming they cant divulge negotiations because it will hinder the process. yet a bunch of other unions make a habit of releasing their negotiations. I believe its purposeful to keep the membership in the dark so they can spout lies of “this is the best we can do” or “we worked really hard to get 6.5 percent”.

4 Likes

I agree with what you said about a lack of tansparency. However, leaving the union IS NOT the answer.

I am not a fan of many things our union has done and, as anyone who knows me can attest, I’ve taken the short end of the stick on some personal issues they’ve been involved in a number of times.

That said, in spite of my periods of frustration with our union, I’ve always pitched in to support our union and I’ve seen the great things our union has done for the membership as a whole and have never even considered opting out.

Going lone wolf not only leaves you unprotected personally, but undermines the strength our union has in collective bargaining. This department will eat you up without representation if you find yourself in a difficult situation.

We need to come together and fight for our benefits as a team-whether you agree with certain union policies or not.

9 Likes

It’s been my experience that when negotiations are transparent during the process, opposing forces get involved to derail what’s being haggled. If it’s disclosed at the end when it’s actually a “legal” offer on the table, it can’t be derailed because that would not be “good faith” negotiations.

1 Like

Going “lone wolf” as you put it isnt my first option either but I sure as hell I’m done being manipulated and lied to. But here is my thought process. I can quit the union. Immediately save 1000$ a year in dues. That’s a bigger raise than the contract being presented.
As to the point of “this department will eat you up”. Every person I’ve seen have run ins with the department and was fighting progressive discipline has needed to retain an attorney regardless of the unions membership. Because lets be honest. A union rep reciting FBOR is worthless. But a labor attorney sitting at the table will do a far better job. Honestly, Id have a nice little retainer built up by now if I still had my union dues.

1 Like

That may be but now that negotiations are over. Release the previous offers. That shouldn’t be too hard.
And lets say that we need to wait until after its ratified. Then go back in your files and release all the old negotiation documents from past agreements. Lets have some some honesty about what was earned before.

2 Likes

2881 is in a good bargaining position. Why give it up so fast? Having been at the table negotiating, on both sides, I understand the dance, better than most. Having been an elected official for 22yrs. I have some advice. It’s been said in this blog everything is lined up for a good outcome, including the Gov. agreeing with the points the Union has laid out. Always remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Use the upcoming elections to your advantage. No elected official wants that squeaky wheel to be heard loudly going into their re-election. Stand your ground and make some noise over the next few months. Don’t be too hasty! Fight for what you really want/need. It seems the 66hr. was just a bone thrown to see if the union bit. Setting up a committee to study how to get to a 56 is the govts way of either killing it altogether or delaying the inevitable. With the issues facing retention and other positives lined up, this is the time you fight to get the very most you can. This current offer seems like it’s a win for the State, not the Union. Be the squeaky wheel, hold out and do better. I believe you can gain much more than what’s been given up so far.

7 Likes

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/the-state-worker/article264966784.html