CALFIRE proposed MOU changes

Whoa, 3%@ 50 was bargained out??? Glad I retired when I did. You guys have a solid argument if you only getting 6.5% raise after the last contract. should of been closer to a 13-15% raise Minimum.

3 Likes

If you had 3@50, you still do. There are two new formulas based on hire date. Worst thing we gave up for our new guys, but Jerry was hell bent on it.

4 Likes

This is the trash that frustrates me. The hope for a better schedule is two+ years away. The tentative contract offers nothing to fight mental health, time off, and divorce. These are absolutely critical problems. But here is the Union blowing smoke.

2 Likes

It wasn’t bargained out… it was taken away by Brown.

1 Like

Who says anyone gave up? The offer was pushed from the state… it’s up to the members to vote yes or no.

2 Likes

I would encourage everyone to wait until all the details come out before making a decision as to what we should collectively do. There may be some things we don’t know about yet and there’s no sense in getting worked up into a frenzy over scant details. Keep calm, and standby to standby.

8 Likes

This 100%:point_up_2:t2:

1 Like

If the Governor was truly committed to positive change he wouldn’t have this language in there:

C. If the Governor declares a fiscal emergency and General Fund monies over the multiyear forecasts beginning in the 2024-2025 Governor’s Budget are not available to support the reduction to a 66-hour duty week on an ongoing basis, including the estimate of direct costs and any increases in the cost of overtime driven by the proposal, the parties agree to reopen this provision regarding how and when to implement this section

This is all just a stalling tactic so he can say he’s settled all his labor contracts and he’ll be gone soon running for President. That’s why it’s only a two year contract.

Vote NO.

9 Likes

Well maybe instead of being flat footed the union should have had a message to deliver with this. You know be prepared. It’s ironic that the President speaks out frequently on his podcast about the membership not being educated and that the membership doesn’t know what they are talking about. Yet this is the level of information that is pushed out. Literally a message saying the new tentative Agreement is available to view. No further information whatsoever. So maybe union leadership should educate the membership. Maybe union leadership should be prepared. Maybe union leadership should actually have a plan.

2 Likes

It’s figured at one less work day per month.

2 Likes

And how does that work? 3-3-3-2 lol I bet I know how we will cover the engine on the missing day!!!

2 Likes

I’m not arguing that the delivery could be better. But what I’m saying is everyone is worked up and we don’t even know what we are worked up over. Give it some time, let them get the messaging out. And when it comes time to ratify it amongst the members, make a decision that supports the membership. Make decisions based off all of the facts is all I’m encouraging people to do. We still have a lot of unknowns to wade through.

3 Likes

For your viewing pleasure. This is how bargaining with CASE went and how it ended up.

2 Likes

We do know. The document has been posted on the cal HR website.

1 Like

It’s already up on CaHR website and LAO has their review already posted on their site

2 Likes

Correct. And these are the facts. It’s the actual contract. Any “messaging” will be union spin.

My biggest issue the longevity pay. I don’t need guys with 20 on to stay at this point. I need guys with 5 on to stay.

Plus, if you look at it the guys on the team who are all near retirement made off great. Between longevity and the 6.6% they are getting the raise the rest of us needed.

Glad our union is so selfless and looks out for us.

6 Likes

100 percent accurate. Our retention issues don’t lie within the at or near retirement folds. It lies in the younger generation that is leaving for better pay and benefits within local government.

Very good point.

Thank you for the kind words!

I encourage EVERYONE to visit Calhr.ca.gov and read the language for themselves.

1. the current OT clock is 53 not 56(6/30/20 side letter)
  2. the language in the proposed agreement takes us back to 56hr. I have been told the 56 is a typo and the agreement to vote on will be 53. Time will tell.
  3. The only way a 66hr work week fits a 28 pattern is 3 weeks of 72/96 and 1 week of 48/120. If(THATS A HUGE IF) wages remain the same, making the same amount for 11 days instead of 12 days in a 28 day cycle IS A RAISE.
  4. The LAO(Legislative Analyst Office) is recommending it not be approved by Sacramento
  5. a 56hr clock/calendar cannot be switched ON like a lightswitch. Currently SCH A & Amador agreements are at 2.3-2.67 people per position. There are HUGE Sch A & Amador contracts that aren’t even at 3.11. Those agreements will need to be renewed at the new agreement
  6. The Director is on record supporting a 56hr work week. But it will take time. EVERY DEPT has staffing shortage of 20-35%. And here we are adding over 2,500 new positions in less than 3yr(2021-2025) Rome wasn’t built in a day and this will take time.
  7. The Director is also on record saying no new Sch A or Amador agreements Will be staffed at less than 3.11. Remember SCU, MMU, BTU, etc all still staff at 2/0. How many ADDITIONAL people will need to be hired to achieve 3.11?
  8. The dept just closed FF1 applications IN JULY. That was historic and a first for the dept.
  9. Units are now PAYING people to get a OSFM SFT FF1 cert. Let that sink in
  10. FAE offers are still going out. “HI this is so and so, would you like a FAE job? Why yes, where is the offer? You pick anyone of the 21 units” that is ACTUALLY HAPPENING
  11. the reason for the 2.5% at 7/1/22 is due to the CDCR agreement and a rule they have that if any other BU got more than 2.5% they automatically got A reopened contract… SO POLITICS PLAYED A PART HERE
  12. Like it or not, POLITICS is at play here. The prison population is continuing to decline. Look no further than the failed recall of the LA County DA just 2 weeks ago. The boots on the ground have to come from somewhere.
  13. Demographics are at play here and until that problem gets solved. These staffing problems will continue AND GET WORSE.
  14. while LG do make more than CF. NONE that I know still have the abilities to get lifetime medical. Talking with our LG partners. They have staffing shortages as bad as CF does. A FC that retires at 55 is looking at a medical bill of $1800-2400 per month till they reach 65 and qualify for Medicare.
  15. Minimum wage is now pegged to COLA. It will continue to go up not to exceed $0.50 per year or the cost of inflation. On 1/1/23 it goes to $15.50. This is state law.

And finally
15) The Gov survived the recall and then vetoed the 4800 bill. That the union just got passed as a side letter. To say the union has nothing is dishonest at best. They have fought the battle. Am I happy with all of the decisions HELL NO. Can more be done, HELL YES. But as stated numerous times when a chapter has 400 members and Barley 40 show up. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE? Showing up only when it’s “convenient” is what you get. GET INVOLVED, BE THE CHANGE, STEP UP AND LEAD.

11 Likes

I’m not saying I don’t respect the old guard and that they didn’t earn it. But if this keeps up there won’t be a cal fire in ten years and based on this selfish bulls$&! The union leadership doesn’t care cause they will be gone.

2 Likes

I stopped engaging with my chapter when I could easily confirm I was being lied to in almost every discussion. I am involved in my unit. Heavily. But honestly the union has become a hinderance to all progress. I trust management more frankly.

4 Likes