Come Hell or High Water

That’s a fantastic image, @pyrogeography.

2 Likes

KFS Handcrew and Skycranes, AW139, and a few other helo at work in the ROK. A look at an incident command post and public operational briefing. KFS has gone big with Skycranes.

More than 30 wildfires break out in S. Korea with Hongseong, Daejeon affected the most - YouTube

Forest Fire In Central Seoul Forces Evacuation Of 120 Homes | Smoke From Fire Captured On Video - YouTube

This is one of my favorite Bill Gabbart articles, Fire Year 2020:
Helicopters from U.S. Army assisting with wildfires in South Korea - Wildfire Today

South Korea is not inexperienced in aerial firefighting. The Korea Forest Service (KFS) has at least six S-64 Air-Crane helicopters. In 2001, KFS became the first foreign government to purchase S-64 helicopters from Erickson. The most recently delivered versions have composite main rotor blades and glass cockpits. Some of the S-64 helicopters in the KFS fleet have the optional front-mounted water cannon.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Tall tales of quarter and judgement in Nature. I think optimism is a good strategy, but I witness that Nature has never gone out of its way to fulfill, or frustrate, a prediction; offers neither quarter, nor judgement, nor mercy, condemnation or justice; and that there is yet still resistance to the truth of this witness; by people charged with the public safety, on it’s face.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Video (5m32s) provided by LACoFD Technical Operations “Swiftwater Command”

In an earlier post, I briefly reviewed ICS 100c roles and responsibilities of Incident Command, and where necessary or prudent, transfer of Incident Command among responders.

The video shows several demonstrations and drills performed by LACoFD Technical Operations and examines some of the roles and responsibilities performed by an Incident Commander of a Swiftwater Incident.

Swiftwater Command - YouTube

2 Likes

Superbloom is no joke, we’re having roaming bee swarms on the Central Coast.

3 Likes

So what’s going on with Tulare Lake? CalFire has had some IG posts about supporting the flooding there. Some news outlets are saying Corcoran can flood. Others are saying Tulare Lake may make a substantial comeback he’ll or high water.

They are raising the levee around Corcoran right now.

2 Likes

The water level in Tulare Lake has stayed pretty stable over past 10 days or so. Have been watching it on the satellite imagery. Standing water around the prison in Corcoran seems to have receded in past week or so. It’ll be interesting to see how quickly the snowmelt starts to come down. It looked like there was quite a bit of storage capacity available at Pine Flat Lake on the Kings River last time I looked.

2 Likes

Pine flat is at 609000 acre feet and dropping. 60% capacity.

2 Likes

There is approximately twice as much SWE in the snowpack as there is in the capacity of all reservoirs combined.

It’s a matter of when not if the water level in Tulare Lake rises.

3 Likes

I think it was on one of Daniels podcasts where he states that 98% of the peak SWE is still up there in the southern Sierras. So yeah

2 Likes

4/1 vs 4/11/23 satellite imagery.
For scale, the new rectangle on the western end of the Lake is two (square mile) sections.

2 Likes

This ain’t no bingo. It probably looks messier than it really is. The tertiary water pools around the edges of the image, especially the north and east, are where groundwater recharge fields were put in during drought years.

Not much for it, but that the Army Corps of Engineers need to keep the hammer down on the integrity and security of the dams.

2 Likes
1 Like

Yellow polygon is a Flood Advisory for the Silvies River drainage basin and tributaries. Red and purple contrast of Extreme Drought and snowdepths in excess of 40" at 1500ft to 1600ft.

Flood Advisory

4/14/2023 11:14 PDT through 4/17/2023 15:00 PDT

Flood Advisory issued April 14 at 11:14AM PDT until April 17 at 3:00PM PDT by NWS Boise ID

• WHAT…Flooding caused by snowmelt is expected.
  • WHERE…A portion of southeast Oregon, including the following county, Harney.
  • WHEN…Until 300 PM PDT Monday.
  • IMPACTS…Minor flooding in low-lying and poor drainage areas. Rises in small streams. Overflowing poor drainage areas.
  • ADDITIONAL DETAILS… - At 1110 AM PDT, emergency management reported minor flooding in the advisory area. With warmer temperatures this weekend, minor flooding will expand in the area. - http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

Instructions

Turn around, don’t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood deaths occur in vehicles.

Sent 4/14/2023 11:14 PDT
Harney, OR

1 Like

Hydromet Pacific Northwest Region | Bureau of Reclamation (usbr.gov)

If I’m reading this correctly, Prineville Reservoir has doubled its volume in the last 7 days.

3 Likes