DMH Radio Wiring.

Going to be upgrading from a GMH to a DMH. Can anyone tell me what the third (yellow) wire is for?

Thanks

Ignition sense.

Thanks.

So can I just hook it with the red wire since that is on an ignition controlled circuit?

55%20AM

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks.

I’ve wired several of these with red and yellow both to the same power source with no issues. Won’t turn on and off with your ignition that way. Can run through a master switch (that powers radio, lights, siren, etc), or just leave powered hot. Pro - radio works when the vehicle is off. Con - radio stays on when vehicle is off, if you don’t remember to turn it off it can eventually kill your battery.

2 Likes

Newer radios probably don’t care but it is always good practice to put red straight to battery, never switched, keeps the radio computer brain much happier that way and can prevent glitches at the worst possible moment.

2 Likes

I got the radio today and don’t recognize this type of antenna connector. What is it?

Antenna%20connect

It is called a QMA connector and might as well be proprietary as BK seems to be the only one that uses it. Usually they come with a little 6" extension to UHF or mini-UHF connector.

1 Like

Like this?

I have a mini uhf connector that went to my GMH radio.

Yes, but I would buy the genuine article and not something that says home theater on it.

1 Like

Ouch…

Just consider what you stand to lose should it break in the middle of a fire.

2 Likes

Be aware, the King pigtails don’t exactly have a sterling service record either. They tend to pull apart lengthwise pulling the small pin in the QMA connector away from the socket on the radio. R.F. Industries makes a crimp on connector for most coax intended for mobile radio installations. RQA-5000-C for RG-58 and RQA-5000-X for RG-8X. Be aware the connectors are difficult to install properly.

2 Likes

I’m installing a DMH 5992 radio in my truck, I installed a inline fuse on the red wire side and black to ground but radio didn’t turn on. Do I need to connect the yellow wire also to the red wire source as I do not want ignition source. Radio worked fine when removed from other vehicle. Thanks

Hi Eric, have a DMH question if available.

I’d be happy to try to answer - I’m no expert, just an experienced tinkerer, but if I can be helpful I’d be glad to.

I believe the yellow is intended to be ignition-switched power (with red as always-on power), so when you turn the key on, the radio turns on. You could also run it to master power, like if you have a master switch that powers your radios, lights, siren, etc. Or, as I’ve done on several, just run both red and yellow to power, or to your master power switch.

Does the yellow wire on the DMH need to be connected with the red wire and does it also need an inline fuse. I’m not attaching the yellow to ignition

Thanks for the help