Emerging Technology

I went back to school and got an AS in Fire Science and now I’m in my Senior year at ASU with concurrent BS degrees in GIS and Geography. I read your thesis for your Masters. Right up my alley. Love it. Not sure how much my degrees will help me but I would love to get knee deep into Wildland Fire GIS work. Absolutely love it!!! You are awesome!
Vanessa

7 Likes

Hey there! I think there is lots of opportunity for you with fed/state/industry if you want to do GIS with wildfire.

4 Likes

Hey all, last week was the annual TAK Offsite event in Denver Co.

Here is a great keynote presentation from Cory Foy talking about TAK across public safety.

For those that dont know there is an entire thread on this site dedicated to TAK.

5 Likes

https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/3395505/usc-scientists-use-ai-to-predict-wildfire-spread.html

1 Like
3 Likes

The CAL-FIRE Air Intel KML network link is fixed. Now just posting last 72 hours of flights.

https://tinyurl.com/calfireairintel

Put this in Google Earth or ATAK as a network link.

4 Likes

Made a new video showing this in ATAK

4 Likes

Smartfirefighting round table on July 30th 1300 CST will be TN talking about their TAK initiatives.

Recording is out.

1 Like
3 Likes
1 Like

IMG_0919

https://www.newsfromthestates.com/article/wildfire-season-becomes-more-threatening-experts-are-turning-ai

clearly its not the answer everyone is hoping it will be. Early detection is a thing. Will it matter in some cases, no. My point being I see the articles talking about the fires you didnt hear about and how AI (computer vision) spotted it in the camera and we rolled out a fire engine 10 minutes before the 911 call and the fire was put out before it became the next Lahaina, Camp, (enter catastrophic fire name here) but the reality is that is a poor example of success of the technology. You need to take that same ignition with other knowns and run some modeling on fire spread (all models are wrong, some are useful) to compare. I am not saying throw it in the toilet but we need to set the stage to the public correctly. It will be interesting to see over the next few years with the AI in place and acres burned, homes and businesses destroyed, capital spent to see if there is any change.

Where I do see value in the cameras and AI is getting the public informed and hopefully out of harms way.

3 Likes

Anyone know what’s going on with the NIFC FTP site being down?

1 Like

I remember they had a network/hardware issue some years back as well. Technology…its why we still have plotters lol…hell even those get pissy from time to time and nobody knows those pains more than you @pyrogeography.

3 Likes

This was a fun project to be a part of with body worn weather sensors feeding fire modeling software for better predictions and models.

1 Like
3 Likes

@Flyron one of our guys is in Idaho assisting testing with one now. Went up to Boise a couple weeks ago. Testing comms playloads and connecting TAK clients across a huge landscape of cell denied areas. Interesting stuff.

2 Likes

More strato balloon stuff with a shot of ATAK at play.

4 Likes

NOAA Drone Team will need to be trained on the FTA before using this

1 Like