HI-Maui-Lahaina ???

No. Don’t go.

4 Likes

My friend lives there. Said 3 fires near his house with 30 mph gusts last night. He said they are evacuating resorts. His area, Waikoloa Village is safe so far. He is old CDF and had to use an old emergency evac road last year.

That’s on the Big Island.

3 Likes

To answer your specific question, and give others a better understanding. As of Aug. 9, 2023 at 1:11 AM CDT, according to Hawaii News if you fly into the airport you will be held at the airport. They are making arrangements to fly all tourists from Maui to Oahu tomorrow. You definitely do not want to become part of that. Remember, resources are very finite and limited in each county (island) and mutual aid is not like moving engines and people from northern CA to southern CA.

10 Likes

There have been multiple post on social media asking people who are traveling or will be traveling in the near future to please cancel their trips. Insurances are having trouble finding places for people who lost their homes. Like you said theirs a finite amount of resources. Can’t just drive housing trailers from the neighboring states.

7 Likes

I imagine the fire conditions were created by Hurricane Dora producing foehn (?) winds on the leeward side of the island. Said it was similar to Santa Ana’s.

I wonder if Hawaii has a local name for it. I also read that besides the hurricane, trade winds also cause a similar event.

2 Likes

Front Street in Lahaina.
https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1689385072691183617?s=20

3 Likes

Street view from that exact location for reference :broken_heart::

3 Likes

Any rumblings of an IMT? The task of restoring normal will be monument. I couldn’t imagine being the LOGS…. Truly a disaster.

3 Likes

I imagine they’re going to need heavy support from the military to help with the logistics needs. I can easily see the Navy’s hovercraft and other amphibious warships assisting heavily.

5 Likes

IROC just got requests in for FEMA from North Ops/Region IX.

unknown on the extent of this request.

9 Likes

I was watching the press conference on CNN at about 10::AM Hawaii time. The head of the Hawaii Nation Guard was introduced as the IC appointed by the Lt. Gov.

8 Likes

Lahaina, before and after

Courtesty @KanekoaTheGreat via Twitter

13 Likes

That’s from Feb 2022 !!!

1 Like
6 Likes

P.I. is gone. Banyan tree is gone. My old aparatment is likely gone. So much history gone. Wonder if the fishing/charter fleet made it out of harbor? This is terrible.

6 Likes

Try this website.
https://bigislandnow.com/

2 Likes

I’ve seen videos of the banyan tree. I wouldn’t give up on that old girl. As you all know, many trees can take quite a relatively hard short hit and come back. Thinking positive thoughts.

8 Likes

Hey everybody, this isn’t Cali or any other continent destination. It’s a relatively small island destination.There is literally no where left for you to vacation at for the time being - short/med term. Be grateful you’re not in the middle of it!

Peace!

8 Likes

Thanks bootstraps for the woods of advice.
I’m trying to get lodging for my son and his girlfriend, who live there. Her boss’s business is gone and their house.

4 Likes

Wish you the world during your recovery and rebuilding!!

2 Likes