HI-Maui-Lahaina ???

Try this website.
https://bigislandnow.com/

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen videos of the banyan tree. I wouldnā€™t give up on that old girl. As you all know, many trees can take quite a relatively hard short hit and come back. Thinking positive thoughts.

8 Likes

Hey everybody, this isnā€™t Cali or any other continent destination. Itā€™s a relatively small island destination.There is literally no where left for you to vacation at for the time being - short/med term. Be grateful youā€™re not in the middle of it!

Peace!

8 Likes

Thanks bootstraps for the woods of advice.
Iā€™m trying to get lodging for my son and his girlfriend, who live there. Her bossā€™s business is gone and their house.

4 Likes

Wish you the world during your recovery and rebuilding!!

2 Likes

Death toll now up to 36:

ABC News/AP News Link

1 Like

This morningā€™s NASA/LANCE/FIRMS image. Different from yesterdays, MODIS Aqua instead of MODIS Terra and symbolized as Time-Based. My question is: Is there NIROPS capability in Hawaii?

3 Likes

No real heat showing on the GOES satellite overnight.
https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu/?sat=goes-18&sec=full_disk&x=6972.25&y=6462.1875&z=7&angle=0&im=24&ts=3&st=0&et=0&speed=130&motion=loop&maps[borders]=white&p[0]=fire_temperature&opacity[0]=1&pause=20230810140021&slider=-1&hide_controls=0&mouse_draw=0&follow_feature=0&follow_hide=0&s=rammb-slider&draw_color=FFD700&draw_width=6

2 Likes

Any word of Cal Fire headed to Hawaii? You may laugh but it wouldnā€™t surprise me

6 Likes
1 Like

FEMA Region 9 IMT 2 is assigned. Arrives today about 1800.

7 Likes

Maxar photos, before and after

https://nitter.nl/nexta_tv/status/1689664614135451648#m

2 Likes

I heard a rumor that some OES engines may be sent . Not sure if it will actually happen or not .

2 Likes

Having taught classes over there it is more likely that they would ferry engines over from the other islands

2 Likes

Iā€™m speculating that this is the FEMA IMAT, not IMT out of Oakland. Whoever picks up the management assistance for this has a heavy lift. Good luck to all!
A primer for FEMA IMAT orientation:

10 Likes

Juan with an overview of what transpired that day.

8 Likes

Major disaster declared.

2 Likes

Spent a couple hours interpreting the before after pictures and helo footage from Lahaina. Hereā€™s my thorough and educated guess on where the extent of damages were using Maui County building footprints from 2020. The green buildings among the red were seen via the Maxar-provided before and after images. The eastern, southern, and northern ends of the fire did not have that imagery so the interpretation was from other photos and helicopter footage from the scene.

16 Likes

Looks like about 2,000+ affected structures, eh?

6 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly right, by count I had 2100 red building footprints. That whole north end of town didnā€™t have satellite images but the video showed it just as badly hit. There will be some random structures in tact in there. There may be more damage from the ā€˜Unknownā€™ group Iā€™ve marked as well. Anything in the middle of the action left standing will be heavily smoke damaged as it is.

6 Likes