HI-Maui-Lahaina ???

Really wish I could get my dozer on a ship and headed that way to help!

3 Likes

They keep using the number of 271 structures burned. That must be just Front St. commercial buildings. I agree the number is more than 2000+. Just spent 6 weeks in Maui. So devastating!

6 Likes

I read 700+ unaccounted for…Im hoping that most are simply unable to check in. Unfortunately I guessing the death toll will rise as well…FYI, the sheet is NOT private

8 Likes

6 Likes

This sheet is not private it is available to anyone. I opened with out being logged in.

1 Like

Ya, not sure why it says that, the original didn’t say anything about being private

3 Likes

The Hawaiian governor just did a interview on TV would not give a updated number he’s waiting for the Press conference at 3 PM Hawaiian Time and said the numbers would go up significantly, hinted that it would probably the worst loss of life in Hawaii from a disaster. he did say 1,700 structures lost.

6 Likes

Death toll from Maui fires rises to 53, governor says, and more than 1,000 structures have burned – WSOC TV

8 Likes

Request for info.
A group of folks (including me) associated with UC Berkeley and the University of Wisconsin are working to improve fire characterization from satellites.
If anyone deployed to Maui reads this and can get authoritative information on the times of ignition and report times of various fires, that information would be be put to good use.
If you find something reliable please PM me.
Thanks much!

8 Likes
4 Likes

Grim. The death toll so far only accounts for those found outside of buildings; they have not yet searched interiors.

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1689961752933367808

2 Likes

Washington Post used these ‘Planet’ satellite images to confirm damages. I used some grainier photos yesterday and helicopter video. A clearer day and higher resolution photos here, so these are much better and they did updated work for me.

5 Likes

Rumor is this started as a 10 acre fire that was put out. It rekindled under the high winds and dry air. They usually don’t do full mop up due to the normal island conditions.

8 Likes

The City of Riverside Fire Department has deployed our Incident Support Team as part of FEMA US&R CA-TF6 to assist with the search and rescue efforts in #Lahaina, Hawaii. Updates to follow.

#lahainamaui #maui

https://twitter.com/rivcafire/status/1690050505760972800?t=5w1opYnm8NdhhXMWix6cUA&s=19

7 Likes

The numbers of people that died are from those found outside buildings so far. No interior searches have started due to safety and hazmat issues.

2 Likes

Wondering if there’s any word if Calfire might be sending support crews to Maui.

2 Likes

The majestic 150-year-old Banyan tree in Lahaina still stands following destructive Hawaii wildfires. #MauiFires

https://twitter.com/accuweather/status/1690024473175490560?t=xlyJxb_gZecH_ZIQMTYWJA&s=19

6 Likes

I was there on vacation and can say this sounds consistent with what I saw, small fire north of the bypass looked under control. When we got into town, 5 min later, there was active building to building propagation. 15 years and this fire was in the top 3 most aggressive fires I have seen. I firmly believe that we in California would have had the same result, no amount of manpower was going to stop this once it established in the structures.

With the conditions on the ground and the road conditions due to 2 days of 60-80mph winds there were no evacuation routes. I don’t know how many weather stations they have in the area, but I would bet there were gusts over 80. I was in a Camero getting absolutely tossed around. I got out using a farm road to the north, but many of those areas were already blocked off from that egress point.

24 Likes

I got ahold of some open satellite data from Maxar and made this YouTube video of the Lahaina area, showing damage block by block. Really a terrible scene, with so much trauma to come, but I am hoping this is helpful. https://youtu.be/U0zrM1AxsGI

13 Likes

Hope it survives. Looks pretty scarred. Not sure how fire adapted these trees are?

3 Likes