HI-Maui-Lahaina ???

NV and WA are going plus some ISTs

US&R: Blue IST, two NIMS Type 3 task forces (WA-TF1 and NV-TF1), and 2 Mission Ready Packages; Canine Search (WA-TF1 and NV-TF1) deployed to HI.

8 Likes

I hope more than anything that is not the case here. Hard to live with that.

2 Likes

IMG_0604
Before

After

4 Likes

So heart wrenching. They lost at least 2 rigs. This type 1 and a type 6 in lahainaā€¦we just placed an order and the leaf time is now a woping 42 months! I hope they werenā€™t thin on apparatus.

4 Likes

#Hawaii #wildfire #Maui #wildfires #mauifire #MauiCounty #Lahaina

#Lahainafire 85% contained. #Pulehufire 80% contained
#UpcountryFire 50% contained.

FEMA Urban Search & Rescue Team, with expertise in human remains, are being deployed to Maui from Arizona and Nevada (5 dogs).

4 Likes

What is the status on the fire? Containment? Iā€™m deeply involved in moving right now and this is about all the news I get. I just moved out of Santa Rosa, CA after 33 years. I saw Coffey Park first hand. My heart goes out to those folks.

1 Like

Son just texted another fire started in Kaanapali. They donā€™t have a scanner for any of the emergency services on Maui, only the big island, so canā€™t confirm 100%. Does anybody have access to satellite heat signatures for maui?

1 Like

There are no obvious fire GOES fire detections on Maui in the last 6 hours.
That does not mean that there were no fires.
Fires in light fuel may need to be more than 5 acres to be detectable in some circumstances.

5 Likes

image image

Something showing up on channel 7 northeast of Kahului but cant confirm source of signature attm.
At 550z the Next Generation Fire System showed a signal fwiw.

2 Likes

Could be. Your feature is clearer in the 3.9 micron band alone. Your color scale is much sharper than the greyscale on the RAMMB Slider. :+1:

2 Likes

Itā€™s scarred but appears to have a healthy head of canopy on it from veiws from the air. It should survive.

2 Likes

The New York Times reports that there was a new fire in Kaanapali (a town immediately north of Lahaina) near a county fueling station that was preparing to distribute fuel to residents. Evacuations were triggered. Maui County officials said the fire was 100% contained by 8:30 PM (2030) .
The image below shows an elevated signal in GOES Band 7 (3.9 microns, the ā€œfire bandā€).
This image is from 1621 local time.

2 Likes

I believe a lot of Hawaii public service radios are encrypted.

2 Likes

Death toll 80 nowā€¦so very sad. Likely to exceed Paradise

4 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

this is our understanding as well

2 Likes

If your unfamiliar with Lahaina as I am, this video walking tour of Front Street puts into perspective the losses just in this relatively short walk.

2 Likes

You are comparing a fire on Maui with a fire on the Big Island of Hawaii.

4 Likes

These arenā€™t even the same island.

4 Likes