Intel Aircraft

I keep seeing the intel aircraft… Is this the platform that OES is using? I also heard the data was not being directly relayed to CAL FIRE- only to LG. Does anyone have any insight into this?

1 Like

The FIRIS program is funded by CAL-OES and administered by Orange County Fire Authority. The data is widely and openly shared to everyone that wants it. Intterra hosts the data in their platform for subscribers as well as their EGP service for USFS. Its also available as KML Network Link below. Please reference info sheet from its start in 2019 and a couple more links about the program below. That info sheet is from the first vendor Courtney Aviation. Aevex has the contract now with two airframes both Beechcraft 200 King Airs. INTEL-12 and 24 are their call signs referencing the hours of day they cover. They dont have/need a repeater aircraft with the Aevex King Airs but the essence of the program is the same, go fly and send the perimeter to the ground commanders while still airborne. They also have video transmission capability. This is a Testing and Evaluation program and in my opinion proving to be a huge success.

KML Link.

https://atak.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/FIRIS_inputs.kml

FIRIS Fact Sheet

FIRIS Article

FIRIS - 2019 AAR

FIRIS Twitter Handle

6 Likes

If you have Android check out the dedicated thread we have on the Android Team Awareness Kit. You view the FIRIS data in the application.

1 Like

Will there be compatibility with iOS?

Lots of info on this in the ATAK thread but yes, I have it now but it lacks a lot of functionality right now as its still pretty beta. Not sure how they plan to release it for the masses. I would just get a used Android phone/tablet and tether to your iphone in the field.

5 Likes

INTEL 12 is airborne to map OSCC lightning fires.

3 Likes

Did they do all the fires?

1 Like

They did not do all of them. The KML is open to use at your leisure in the second post of this thread.

3 Likes

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post but does anyone know if the kml link still works? I have been in the middle of the RiverFire and there doesn’t appear to be any flights that were done according to the kml feed. Everyone always wants to know “where is the fire at right now” and that’s information we just don’t have.

The FIRIS program and Intel Aircraft stopped flying on July 1, 2021. They are hoping to be up and running again on August 1, 2021. It was just a short term test to justify a longer program.

1 Like

Thank you! Now I can answer those questions more accurately. I know there was contracts awarded to Northrop Grumman for something similar but I don’t have any more details about it. Just that it was a proof of concept type of thing that extended in 2019. I am trying to stay abreast to what all is available and what to expect. Real time fire information is a game changer similar to how the NWS warning system evolved. Its about time “all hazards” isn’t just a saying. Been in contact with JPL and Planet Labs and the NWS with conceptual ideas to provide real time fire information but have not made traction. Hopefully FIRIS will continue and expand.

2 Likes

@jwhiteGIS its your sentiments exactly that justify this program. There are times where we no exactly where the fire is so maybe its not as beneficial however there is a time and place for realtime ISR of the fire and where it might not put out the fire it may keep our crews safer and help us with evacuations etc. Its nice to know that the absence of FIRIS has been felt if only for 2 weeks.

2 Likes

Who at CalOES do we need to pressure to get this program back off the ground? :wink:

Its coming man just some funding/contract stuff to work through. I believe we will have 2 aircraft. I actually have in possession of 10 OES issued Android devices to deploy to an agency for ATAK use with the program. We just have to be patient for the next couple of weeks. Hopefully this program blossoms into a perm funded multi-mission aircraft program for the state flying both LAW and FIRE missions.

6 Likes

What’s your contact information? New to the form so I don’t think I have direct messaging capability yet.

Sent you a PM with my Contact info

Has a new contract been let AJ? I know we were told the Military ISR platforms would not be as available as in the past unless they were on a training mission. There are now several dozen CWN ISR platforms both Piloted & UAV and AMU has all the agreements in place. The IC’s just have to request AN ISR FLIGHT

1 Like

@Ehoss84 i think it will remain with Aevex but I dont know for sure.

CAL-FIRE has Courtney available and thats who worked the RIVER last night. The feds have lots of options even their own agency aircraft AA-51 that can do it all.

As far as UAS there are not as many as you think on contract but there are a few.

What we really dont have really dialed is the realtime sharing infrastructure piece on the civilian side. Many of these contractors do including Aevex and Courtney but if its not part of the contract etc it does not get exercised. Many of these companies do ISR overseas for the military and they are very versed on what it takes to make it happen.

This is where FIRIS is showing the realtime capability. An open network KML link that anyone can grab. Lowest common denominator low bandwidth data stream. The pipe FIRIS has has the bandwidth to send live geospatial video but we just arent doing it yet. I am hoping this next contract its baked in. We can do this easily, at Corona Fire we pump out live geospatial video from our small little UAS into ATAK and can do live mapping. If we can do it surely the big agencies can who have much more resources.

5 Likes

While I agree 100% with everything you said. The LARGE agencies are like the Titanic.

HUGE SHIPS WITH VERY SAMLL RUDDERS AND ARE SLOW TO MANEUVER AND REACT

2 Likes

I live in that world everyday. Frustrating at best.

1 Like