North Ops Weather-2020

Now, that’s better…

Carry on.

3 Likes

National Forecast Map

Weather Outlook

Wind Advisory
https://www.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=sto&wwa=all

Pretty impressive if this ends up being accurate.

Impressive!! Time on left, sustained/ gust on right
(upload://ryEvCWfGPBxJlYlgBjnFG79dijr.png)

Kirkwood chair 6 RAWS

1 Like

That had to move some snow around!

National Forecast Map

1 Like

If anyone, like myself, have ever geeked out over fire and weather history (and I know who you are…lol) one of the concerns I’ve seen over the past 30+ years of this is the correlation between the season that Australian and New Zeland has prior to our west coast fire season.
With the current drought, minimal precept we are getting, and the increase of veg fire responses in February here California, I’m personally getting an uneasy feeling for the next several months.

Carry on.

5 Likes

NoCal Forecast

National Forecast Map

GOES West Image
https://www.goes.noaa.gov/dml/west/nhem/weus/rb.html

2 Likes

Warm and dry on the 6 to 10 day outlook.

I like the bottom comment…
How about no burning for the next 48 hours…just a thought.

3 Likes

Burned 1/10 acre of deep oak leaves up here in Plumas County yesterday. Dry to the ground. No rain here for the month. If no rain tonight, first Feb in historic weather records with no precip…

3 Likes

Regarding no burning - just because it’s forecast to be windy in the North Bay doesn’t means it’ll be the same elsewhere in NorCal - Weaverville is only forecast to see 8mph gusts. Shutting down burning across broad areas when we have events like these, without proper consideration of site-specific risk, is costing us valuable burning opportunities at a time when we need every single burn day.
A lot of the places where we have good burn windows right now are only receptive on the south-facing slopes, which are actually sheltered from these north winds.
Also, based on what I saw burning 10 days ago in Butte County, without winds we had a hard time getting consumption of anything larger than a pencil unless it was punky…

2 Likes

The outdoor burning recommendation is more for the general population who doesn’t have the experience and education required to make sound decisions as to safe outdoor burning of piles. The weather service recommendation should only be seen as an advisory for the professionals who are doing vegetation management burns.

1 Like

The problem is not the burns being done by larger organizations, the problem is Joe Homeowner… who lets their pile escape and requires a response.
BTW- there have been escapes from piles with short range spotting in the timber fuel model. The burn you were referring to was in a different fuel model- Grass-Oak Woodland.

2 Likes

Jan Rain Map

1 Like

Yeah,

I suppose I should have made my non burning comment with the emphases on the civilian community.

Carry on.

2 Likes