North Ops Weather-2023

They got several going one that’s on the mendacino border near the ranch scar from 2018 one on Lassen

6 Likes

There shouldn’t be any points of light out there… at least 2 starts seen right now. (Northern Mendocino NF)

7 Likes

Active cell over Shasta-Trinity

From Hayfork…

Play the loop if you have a chance - wild

8 Likes

Think these don’t even all have names yet, but it’s a pretty neat screenshot. 4 lighting starts all visible in the same frame from Bunch Grass Lookout. ALERTCalifornia - Bunch Grass Lookout 1

9 Likes

The MNF east of Willits is getting lit up again today, south of yesterdays activity.

Very impressive acoustics associated with the storm.

3 Likes

Wild outflow winds showing up on the west slope of the Sierra around Highway 88 right now. https://twitter.com/wildland_zko/status/1691596354840379474?s=20

10 Likes

We are starting to feel them in Calaveras also

3 Likes

They’re still moving west, 40 minutes later, all the way from Belden to Groveland!

5 Likes
3 Likes

FWAC Wildfire Map - Current Wildfires, Forest Fires, and Lightning Strikes near you | Fire, Weather & Avalanche Center (fireweatheravalanche.org)

Lightning detections in the last 24 hours and new fire starts in the last 12 hours.

3 Likes

Which application are you using to see the outflow’s?

1 Like

Looks like RadarScope, which has a mobile and/or desktop application for 10 bucks.

3 Likes

Sweet thanks, wanted to check out the outflows we had yesterday and today In monterey county.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it has archived radar data, it’s mostly for viewing in real time—but it is very good for that!

4 Likes

Some of today’s candlesticks have grown up enough to be visible on GOES satellite IR now. Top right is the Ranch Fire, if I’m not mistaken, earlier called the Short. Bottom left is the Slide Fire.

6 Likes

Lightning that doesn’t strike the earth can still be a danger to aircraft.

5 Likes

Got a little precip over Plumas County this afternoon. For a bit I heard thunder, but lightingmaps.org showed no downstrikes. I assume the action was cloud to cloud.

Precip was enough to settle dust, and little more.

One lives on pins and needles here, three miles outside of Greenville, in a little strip of forest that didn’t get incinerated.

6 Likes

6 Likes

USGS forecasted precip for the next 24 hours.

3 Likes

3:00pm Wed Aug 16 lightning detections in Mendocino NF, Stanislaus NF, I-80 Corridor, Shasta-Trinity NF and south-southeast of Yreka

6:00pm PT active cell moving north by northwest across CA-70 and CA-32.

7:11 pm This is the most active cell, right now, bearing in on Redding. Probably want to make sure they got all their aircraft in before it rolls over the airfield.

4 Likes