OES Engines to Oregon

Alameda County XAL sending a OES Charlie to the Bootleg incident in Southern Oregon.

7 Likes

San Mateo County (w/ 5th engine from Kentfield) sending Type 6 OES ST

4 Likes

Crazy, weird thing is R5 will barely send anything to Oregon.

Not really that weird when you consider all R-5 Forests have a sever shortage of firefighters this year. Every forest has engines they can’t staff, hotshot crews that had to be downgraded to Type 2IA, as well as dozers & WT’s that can be staffed. With 3 major fires in North Ops already and yet another extreme heat wave on the way I am not surprised at all that they can’t send anything to the PNW.

7 Likes

Agreed, super short staffed. But I was saying even historically, R5 barely ever sent stuff north to Oregon.

1 Like

Well I have lost count on the number of single engine/strike teams/overhead assignments as a R5 fed i have been on Oregon.

2 Likes

I believe the state of Oregon has an agreement for OES Engines when needed. Oregon is lacking in the state fire protection role. Oregon fire marshal relies on counties for task forces. Oregon definitely has some catching up to do when it comes to suppressing big fires.

3 Likes

One of our Type 6’s is on that strike team and sounds like it has to do with power lines that are threatened that run power into Ca.

5 Likes

The Oregon task forces are responsible for structural protection. Suppressing big fires is on ODF or federal teams. Both have the same capabilities as any other in the US.

1 Like

https://www.firehouse.com/operations-training/wildland/news/21162675/forestry-official-ors-firefighting-system-outdated

1 Like

When I worked in the same area these fires are burning, 20 years ago, there was very little overlap between the forestry side of things and the structural side of things. But the houses just did not exist in the interface nearly the same as California. The issue just did not come up as often. I suppose, now, they are becoming more similar.

3 Likes

OES ST 6848C out of Northern San Diego County going to Oregon

5 Likes

Looks like ODF asked CA for 50 engines using EMAC and the National interstate Mutual Aid Agreement to fill order with CAL OES type 3’s and 6’s.

10 Likes

What fire are they going to?

Bootleg Fire. Sent by Ca to protect power infrastucture.

4 Likes

SWO Cap, are the Oregon engines getting used? Are you folks up there at drawdown? Some insights would be good.

1 Like

If I’m counting right there are 17 strike teams/task forces deployed. Several counties are still available.

3 Likes

Sounds like it’s about time to pull the engines out of oregon and put them to work where needed in California.

Some of the early engines sent out at above 10 days. They will be seeking relief, I am sure.

1 Like

OES are a 21 day commitment. So several more days before relief crews.

1 Like