Quick Reaction Force, Helicopter Upstaffing

SCE providing rotorwing to assist LAC, VNC and ORC.
https://www.facebook.com/211690575520907/posts/4778886902134562

3 Likes

Wonder what they were up to prior to this…

@stymie they were in South Ops. They are funded by SCE.

Was just thinking they were, perhaps, being utilized somewhere. If they are a “South Zone Quick Reaction Force” are they regionally available? Who decides where and when they go? Seems to me that they could’ve been used quite a bit prior to this. (But that’s just me…)

4 Likes

Yeah I get it but remember the funding source. SCE wants to protect themselves from a disastrous fire that perhaps they may be liable for. Its nice in cool in so cal today so not really a factor. Im sure if it was red flag down here those aircraft would not have moved. I have no idea how they are ordered, tasked etc.

They are not a South Ops controlled unit, someone at the 3 counties or Edison or Coulson decided to make the move. Its a good program but I think Riverside and San Bernardino Counties should be a part of the program

2 Likes

Being as they are funded for the daily standby time by SCE there are available as a resource in the SCE service area. One (S61)is based in Ventura County one (CH47) in LA county and one(CH47) in Orange with the Intel Ship (S76) in Orange County also.

3 Likes

Yeah. The “South Zone” thing had me wondering…

Just impreasive the amount of air resources that are mobilzed right now

2 Likes

Interesting. And nice to share a bit; but won’t be a very as publicized “quick reaction” if they are needed back in So Cal where the SCE/ 3- Counties customer base is at.

2 Likes

If the weather changes im sure they will be back. Glad they are getting used.

PG&E needs some of these…

1 Like

SDG&E have had a helitanker for many years. Might be one of the first utilities to do this model.

1 Like

PG&E owns four hawks they use for utility work. They are also carded for CalFire and ready for fire the last few years. However I think there are some optics issues some people can’t get over in the state with a PG&E helicopter fighting fire in California. They haven’t been asked to fight fire for a few years now.

Im fairly certain that this was Coulson trying to market their night time program with the CH-47, which are a fantastic system but still needs to be proven at night. Their program is complex with the scouting ship plus 3 type 1 helitankers and all the ground support equipment that goes with it.

5 Likes
2 Likes