TAK Information-

@ajohansson
Thank you! I thought I was doing something way wrong.

At this point I have no expectations with iTAK. I’m playing with it to learn what features will work for me and what will make life easier. I have some hopes to use it to help me and my guys on the big incidents. If it works, that will be cool, if not then no harm done. If I think it will work, I’ll pay for a server and get the whole ball rolling. Right now, my only fear is that I’m too much of a knuckle dragger to figure it out.

Well if it were me and you really wanted to use something like this on an incident go Android so you can have things like off grid comms with mesh radios etc from beartooth or gotenna(remember with gotenna pro you need freqs this is a 5 watt radio, goteanna consumer and beartooth mk2 uses 900 mhz open ism band) So iTAK just really isnt going to do that stuff in the near term.

I work for a fire dept full of knuckle draggers that have figured out how to use ATAK just fine. Like anything that is new you need to have repetition. I can support you with training materials and guidance.

2 Likes

Anyone wanting to try Free TAK server this google drive folder below has the android and ios certificate.

Remember your location is shared unless you turn off your GPS.

I do not moderate/own this server. This is the folks at FreeTaKServer who have this for people to check out.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-7MTnersm8XP_H4Ey6B7u9Da5uVP4QiI

1 Like

Hi TAK fans,

Wanted to share that the State of CO Center of Excellence has posted all of their iTAK training videos on their youtube channel.

iTAK is still a work in progress and hoping that in the next couple months all the major bugs and enhancements we need for wildfire are addressed.

5 Likes

I finally got the FTP/Cloud Plugin Project finished. This video will walk you through how to use the Cloud/FTP plugin with my FTP site for downloading historical ops maps. The final ops map from every major fire in CA from 2015 to present is on here (if you see one missing that you want just pm me and I will add it). I may start putting data packages for current incident sharing as well. It would be great if we could access the Federal FTP site this way as well. It is totally doable to make a configuration that is download only. Essentially exactly what we have now through the web but make it browsable through ATAK. I hope you enjoy.

5 Likes

A cool feature in Android is split screen you can have ATAK in one and any other app in another. This is ABC-7 LA streaming.

6 Likes

Another cool feature in android is “pop up” view

2 Likes

Made a video on video links in ATAK.

Made a new video on ADS-B aircraft in ATAK.

3 Likes

Made a new video on a KML network link for RAWS data.

I just did a little update on it. I made an assumption you may have already had a KML network or remote resource running. At the end of the video I added a section on how to start from scratch.

3 Likes

Made a new video on how to use the polar coordinate entry tool for triangulating a location off a known location.

4 Likes

New video on how to download a Data Packager from a connected server.

1 Like

New video TAK Fans! How to do some measuring distance, elevation and area in ATAK.

1 Like

New video showing off some of the stuff in the Weather Report Plugin and my hopes for a partnership with the NWS to enhance its capability.

2 Likes

New video on isolating a firis polygon in ATAK.

2 Likes

Made a new video on how to build a data package for an operational period on a wildfire incident using Android.

2 Likes

The Alert Wildfire cameras in ATAK that are located in CA are currently showing an image from yesterday.

At some point yesterday the cameras that are in CA were moved to a new system hosted at https://alertcalifornia.org/

Cameras outside CA still work in ATAK.

We are working on a solution now.

2 Likes

For those that use the AlertWildfire Cams in TAK (or the new Alert CA cameras) service should be restored. Everything is the same, except for the following:

As always, please reach out if you notice anything wonky. Joe threw this all together fairly quickly over the weekend and was playing pokemon battles, craft maker, and CAD designer for his kids most of the day, so he was less than 100% focused. That said, thank you for your understanding and please let me know if anything is broken so I can let Joe know. I want to publicly thank Joe Austin of ninehilltech.com for doing this for free on his own time for our community

5 Likes

New video on the latest release of the Weather Report Plugin. I am trying hard to get NWS/NOAA to collaborate on this.

2 Likes

Pretty huge news right here…

2 Likes