Team Assignments

Team 16 was intended, from the spring planning, to be a short team for the bridge between type 2 and type 3 incidents. It was also the intent that this team be “non-rotational” and it be pulled for each request that a host unit made for a short team. CWCG explained it in a memo that was circulated to all the teams. This was also discussed at the team meetings in McClellan in April. It wasn’t done behind a curtain.

That being said, it’s important to remember that a short team is specifically that, short. So the ordering unit might be selecting the tool or resource they believe is most suited to the incident they have. This reduces costs for the hosting unit which in this day and age is a real concern for those Agency Administrators. It also has resulted in a short team that is always on call. A previous poster indicated that these changes make it hard to plan the rest of life, but I would argue that being on call 24/7/365 is at least as disruptive.

1 Like

Blockquote So the ordering unit might be selecting the tool or resource they believe is most suited to the incident they have. This reduces costs for the hosting unit which in this day and age is a real concern for those Agency Administrators.

So to reduce cost the current rotation is useless. Travel is a huge cost to those Agency Administrators,.

So why do we have the rotation ?

1 Like

The removal of the regional rotation is a puzzle and was never explained to my knowledge. Although, it hasn’t been the system for the type 1 teams and that seems to work fine. I think only time will tell how that shakes out.

2 Likes

CDF went to Statewide teams and a statewide rotation several years ago. It works well because the team is comprised of a balance of North and South. Providing for at least some members being able to arrive quickly.

3 Likes

You’re seeing that a little more now with the southern type 2 fed teams. A handful of those team members reside in the north part of the state. So with the new rotation schedule for the fed type 2 teams, you may see some members showing up early if the southern teams are called up north.

2 Likes

The issue is the new dispatching system is causing confusion. Team 14 (formerly central Sierra) is on 2hr so they are first out. Team 10(formerly NorCal 2) is on 24hr so technically should be third out but they can respond faster. Per NICC this morning they were planning to send 14 to this incident but we will see. 14 has a lot of members in SoCal so they have a long way to go

We are calif teams now, so regardless, whomever is on 2hr goes. Anything else would discredit the reorg.

2 Likes

Not necessarily so as a Forest can still choose a closer team to meet an immediate need. Supposedly is built into the system. (for now)…

It’s already happened. All you need to do is make the in brief time unattainable to any teams far away. And this isn’t a complaint by any means. Most of us knew there would be work arounds to the new rotation and that’s one of them. Although I did hear they are going to try and stick to the new rotation as best they can to facilitate members scheduling their events around the actual rotation.

Pre-positioning would also help to facilitate this as it sounds like they were trying to do this yesterday with 14. It would be similar to moving engines and crews around as they normally do. Albeit a little more spendy in these days of bean counting…

1 Like

Yeah, and I thought that would be one solution to that. I could see teams being sent to McClellan too when they are on 2 hour and there is activity at both ends of the state. Although I think the rotation goes out the door once multiple teams start getting deployed.

1 Like

So maybe we need to re-scramble the team members so team members can come from where ever all over the region. Not just one sided.

1 Like

Had that very discussion yesterday. While it would truly create statewide teams, there would be quite a few unhappy campers

1 Like

Yeah, would be hard to separate teams that have been together for years with the same core personnel.

It would be interesting to say the least. I’m cool with it. I’m about in the center of the state.

Well those who are unhappy can just retire. First the argument was closest group, now it’s their feelings? Yeah I can understand pride of being with the same group of dedicated professional people. That enjoy doing their job. But to be fair to we agreed to this rotation. As many parents would agree if you can’t get along and stay in line, I will separate you!

1 Like

Team members did not agree with the rotation this came from CWCG and this is the new rotation. We new this was going to happen. Just need to work the kinks out.

1 Like

Seems the real big problem is two fold. First its a change and we all know how that goes over in the fire service. Second it has been a very slow season, so far, and we have l lot of time to pick apart any new policy. If this season had been like the last 5 + years no one would have noticed the change.
Reality is this system works well in other GACC’s. I am on a GB Type 2 Team and we cover a much larger area then Region 5. From McCall, ID. on the north to the north rim of the Grand Canyon on the south, from Reno on the west to Salt Lake City. on the east So give it a chance.

3 Likes

Well Team 15 is headed to NorthOps for a preposition, with good odds we will get a divert enroute.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: CFAA Agreement