Terms of rate of spread

Don’t forget ‘skunkin’.

2 Likes

Chompin!!!

I used “Rompin and Stompin” on a running grass and hay field fire

2 Likes

"Gettin’ with the program "…does that count?

2 Likes

“I got more fire then you can shake a stick at”

1 Like

Maybe before you promoted :rofl:

2 Likes

“I’d like to order a T-shirt Vendor and everything that comes with it”

7 Likes

This fire crankin up! :scream_cat:

“This thing is movin out”

How about “Furlongs per Fortnight”"?

2 Likes

I’ve heard this one before

With the amount of, “1 acre, rapid to dangerous rate of spread” you hear in May and June, you’d swear it was something they’d have to complete in a taskbook.

“Commanded a dangerous rate of spread wildland incident…” aaaaand check!

6 Likes

Ha Ha

“With the wind the way it is would not be shocked if this one goes gambling.“

5 Likes

“Runnin’ like a scalded dog”
-Clayton

3 Likes

To quote AA on a nearby fire observing the first minutes of the rim fire"our fire pales in comparison to that one".

It’s gone nuclear.

4 Likes

That’s a classic one!

1 Like

Three fires going in the unit and the third one I have just IA. After my ROC and a few minutes into the fire ECC ask “what it looking like”…Me " not good, fire moving faster than we can lay hose".

2 Likes

Its moving fastes than a fat guy at a buffet.

4 Likes

Highway 41 fire at 41 and 145 had a colorful first on scene from out of unit and dispatch exchange, captain reports well past 300 acres calls for everything thats available, dispatch nothing available, captain well we’ll make due with what we have but we’ll just be watching it burn. A couple strike teams heading up 41 in Fresno popped on the radio and self diverted while enroute to Mariposa. Forward progress of the fire was stopped by a couple day laborers turning on the irrigation for the alfalfa field.

I haven’t heard that dispatcher on mmu since then.

2 Likes

Like the MVU ECC asking me (Cedar Fire AA) 30 minutes after launching @ 0600. Cedar AA “What’s the current ROS and total acreage estimate?”

After a brief pause, I stated “Fire behavior has increased rapidly with a 15 mile wide fire front and long range spotting 2-3 miles west of Hwy. 67 into the eastern edge of San Diego City. Estimated after quick lap mapping this fire, it has burned over 100 sections.”

ECC replied back, “Cedar AA what is a Section?” My reply back, “a section is 640 acres and multiply 100 Sections equals 64,000 acres burned in the last 12 hours.”

23 Likes