Terms of rate of spread

I wonder if that radio traffic can be found anywhere. Haunting.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve heard fuels reported as ā€œthicker then dog hairā€. Thats descriptive, I get it.

But terrain as ā€œsteeper then a cowā€™s faceā€. Not sure what that isā€¦I assume thats really steep

2 Likes

I remember ABC30 filming either Mike or Tom Bowman running towards the camera crew yelling get the fā€¦ Out of here as the fire was chasing him.

2 Likes

That would be ā€¦ Critical ROS, correct :point_up:t3:

4 Likes

That was Mike. And he later became a really good PIO

2 Likes

Years ago an HFEO from Butte arrived at a fire in Butte county and Iā€™ll paraphrase his ROCā€¦ā€Oroville Transport 2140 at sceneā€¦you better order up the Tee-shirt vendor and all the stuff that comes with itā€. :joy:

7 Likes

Was all recorded and saved to CDs, not sure where stored in mvicc

3 Likes

Iā€™ll buy a case for the first IA IC who reports that the fire is ā€œgoing plaid.ā€

6 Likes

Then thereā€™s ā€œshaky containmentā€

3 Likes

I remember asking Ron to fly over my house when he got a chance. He called me at 1130 and said he had good and bad news. Good news your house is fine, bad news you now have no neighbors. In one case that wasnā€™t a bad thing.

5 Likes

Common term now ā€œItā€™s chewed through the retardantā€ hahaha. In June, with still relatively high live fuel moistures. Next post, forward rate of spread stopped.

1 Like

Both are valid updates indicating fire behavior.

The potential acreage game, which is almost always inaccurate is another new trend. I always think , " well, it has potential to burn a million acres, but letā€™s hope that doesnā€™t happen"

4 Likes

ā€œOrder a Tshirt vendorā€ ā€œ Going like a son-of-a-gunā€ first on scene HFEOS size up conditions on ROC, have been repeated on some Local Channels at times

2 Likes

I remember AA15 giving a size up of a fire on the east side of bass lake 50-60 acres, after ground resources get there contained 5 acres. One of those shrinking fires.

3 Likes

As I was watching the willow fire near north fork I heard h520 come over the scanner asking for a helitanker for a lightning fire on rough spur, hour or so later 1 acre Shaky containment. Final acreage 151,623. I think a lot of guys here did a tour on that fire in the 2 months it burned in 2015.

4 Likes

ā€œI canā€™t see it anymoreā€.

3 Likes

[In response to BrushSlasher and the Bass Lake comment] I always called those ā€œCotton fires,.ā€ Typically resulting from night time estimates or sometimes less experienced folks. Cotton fires always shrank (sometimes embarrassingly so) after you put water on them. If needing to provide an initial estimate at night I told my company officers to estimate carefully, then cut that in half. Surprising how much closer they were that way.

5 Likes

Similar situation occurred today on the Crews Fire where the AA was attempting to get an aircraft IP established. The SCU ECC kept asking him if there was a new incident. Took several attempts to overcome the challenge including having the Unit Admin Chief having to step in.

In all fairness to the SCU ECC staff, they are very, very busy today with many new and overlapping incidents.

4 Likes

The rate of spread on September 5 2020 becameā€¦

6 Likes