The next Cascadia earthquake/tsunami event.

It is always a solid reminder for Pacific NW residents that Cascadia is due. The last rupture was 324 years ago. So we should have a rolling thread on resources for it. 5 minutes of shaking with a full rupture would bring a significant urban and infrastructure fire threat. If it happens during a cold snap or a summer heatwave it will just be magnified. FEMA held Cascadia Rising as it’s annual table top preparation in 2022.

6 Likes

“Nucleation site” M6.4 earthquake in December 2022 caused slip on Cascadia

Scientists using a model revealed the origination of a 6.4 magnitude earthquake that transpired in December 2022 in Gorda slab near Ferndale, California, according to a new study.

The earthquake in question apparently “triggered slip motion on the Cascadia subduction zone (CSZ) megathrust fault in the month following the rupture.”

Tectonic plate fragment led to the 2022 6.4 magnitude earthquake in California

Researchers’ findings suggest that the tectonic plate fragment cause the 2022 California earthquake. They also observed that the aseismic slip – a slip without seismic waves was potentially triggered on the megathrust interface of the CSZ.

1 Like

My understanding is it’s gonna be an M9 quake. 400-600 year return interval. Last one was 1700 AD. They know the date from records of tsunami in Japan. Silver lining being that likely we will all be dead before next one occurs. Between now and then I’m sure some entrepreneurs will get funded for some moonshot geoengineering to try and make it slip aseismically. But M9 is a lot of energy- kind of akin to trying to get in front of a crowning timber fire with a Pulaski…. In the long run not much you can do to combat laws of physics….

3 Likes

About 246 years for partial ruptures. 400 for full ruptures.

2 Likes

Every time we sneeze theres another revelation that “we” previously had no idea about. One of those being new insight into how Earths orbit can be changed or nudged by other orbiting bodies imparting their “energy” into our solar system. So, it makes me wonder how do those off-earth forces change (speed up/slow down/change) Earth’s Milankovitch cycle and related tectonic, volcanic, hydraulic & magnetic processes. All that to say - its cool to see patterns in the data BUT humans don’t live long enough AND we mostly don’t look back in time far enough AND nobody understands how those same forces make our sun or the other planets in the milky way react… #AstronomicalForcing

6 Likes

I agree and it’s a sign of hubris seal team 6 style when the ‘scientific consensus’ is based off of the notion that the sun and other astrological forces are static/negligible influences on the earth. It is so overcooked and to the point where it seems like it’s done on purpose to dissuade from other information. It will be extremely interesting to see how the next month goes.

3 Likes

Speaking of… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd04lZ5ZmUo

2 Likes