Where do you feel the NOPS / SOPS GACC divide be?

Central-NE Los Padres, southern Sierras, Owens Valley and Humbolt-Toiyabe to Walker River.

2 Likes

That looks more like South Ops than North Ops.

1 Like

True, sort of. Across the split near the top. Following up on anvilheadā€™s image of that cell. The lightning strikes, however many are reaching receptive fuels, are across the boundary. Iā€™ve never been a particularly expert clerk.

Sorta funny, actually. The split occurs at McClelland, from what it looks like, east to west, but there is nobody west of the Mississippi that would consider Sacramento to be ā€˜Southern Californiaā€™. Thatā€™s entirely a Federal thing, and frankly, Iā€™ve never quite understood it. If you want access to Owens Valley during a particularly heavy winter, maybe you go around from the south, but, I dunno.

1 Like

The split is south of Hwy 50 on the ENF and AEU. Its not at MCC.

The post on No Ops weather was just a follow up on previous predictions. Them sharing this info is not like they are out of their area. More info is good, not bad.

2 Likes

Yeah. Iā€™m just not sure what the efficiency is there. If SF Bay is South Ops, then, like, 85%, or more, of CAā€™s population and resources is in South Ops. Roads? Airports? Old FS camps? Land area? No clue.

The Bay Area IS NOT SouthOps. South Ops starts at the Monterey/Santa Clara and Monterey/Santa Cruz county lines. Curious what your experience is in the area?

1 Like

Yeah CZU is NOOPS

1 Like

Is there a map that shows the North Ops, South Ops boundary in a clear and unambiguous way? This is what you see at GACC:

Web capture_18-7-2023_18472_www.nifc.gov

On the face of it, this doesnā€™t look too bad. It does look like a deliberate attempt to account for population distribution and a reasonably even divide of land area. Maybe, weather?

Web capture_18-7-2023_184836_gacc.nifc.gov

Then this. There is no line. Itā€™s the forests.

Web capture_18-7-2023_184759_gacc.nifc.gov

Then this. Itā€™s the forests. I can see USFS looking at it and saying, ā€œYes that makes sense for our resources.ā€ But pretty much no one else.

To further define this, the dividing line is the border between the El Dorado NF and the Stanislaus NF. And between El Dorado and Calaveras Counties.

Pretty well defined.

3 Likes

I suppose, just offhand, that most people from California would consider the Monterey/San Luis Obispo County line, east to west, to be a more intuitive boundary. Then, maybe, angle up between Yosemite and Kings Canyon, or maybe between Yosemite and Lake Tahoe.

1 Like

The items you posted clearly state what I have been saying.

It is what it is. The alignments have changed over the yearsā€¦SCU and AEU used to be a bit more SouthOps oriented when there were 6 CalFire regions. But that has evolved.

Most people arenā€™t running North and South Ops. There must have been reasons, as the Feds and the State had to agree to make the alignmentswork for both.

Fun Fact. The geographic center of the state is literally delineated by a palm tree and pine tree on HWY 99 between Madera and Fresnoā€¦ Yup! (actual center is east of the HWY in the middle fork I believe.) Freebie for the day.

6 Likes

ā€¦and so it serves to divide a Federal National Forest split between two regions, more or less equally with regard to density and travel time between them, with a carve out for SF. And for an agency funded to 40% of its responsibility. Just give them back, lol. J/K.

1 Like

So if you look on a map. TCU and BEU are the start of SOPS. Kinda like a sideways S. Not a straight line. And whatever Forests, NPS, FWS, BIA, and BLM land fall under those lines, which then lay in their respective GACC.

Download that, draw the GACC Ops line on it, and upload that. I donā€™t know exactly where that line is, or as already posted, its just fuzzy.

This should help

Man, where has this been?

1 Like