Who wants to go to Canada?

Both of the IMTs were removed from NICC mob tracker document. Looks like unable to fill since someone made the decision to not allow AD’s and non federal cooperators to mobilize with these teams.

7 Likes

AC90, TKR471 and TKR475, Canadair Cosmopolitans, working around Ile-a-la-Crosse.

SPSA Response Capacity | SPSA (saskpublicsafety.ca)

SPSA lists CV-580 and stats on the website, but not the Cosmo. Possibly reserves or conversions?

3 Likes

A wildfire near Lodgepole, Alberta on May 4, 2023. (Alberta Wildfire/Handout)

The Alaska Division of Forestry and Fire Protection has sent resources to the Canadian province of Alberta, where agency information officer Lily Coyle says they’re dealing with an unusually intense early wildfire season.

“They declared a state of emergency over this past weekend,” Coyle said. “On Saturday they had over 100 wildfires spreading out of control. Their premier deemed it an unprecedented crisis.”

Coyle said the state sent a hot shot crew and an air tanker to Alberta.
Alaska sends firefighters, air tanker to help with Alberta’s ‘unprecedented’ early wildfire season - Alaska Public Media

2 Likes

5-14-2023

BCWildfire reports at least 3 wildfires Out Of Control around Fort St John; Stoddard Creek, Boundary Lake, and Red Creek. This area is under Extreme Danger Rating (Red Flag).

Alberta-wildfire-May-5-2023-CIRA-NOAA
NASA’s GOES-18 satellite captured this image of fires raging out of control in Alberta, Canada, on May 6, 2023. On the same day, the Canadian government declared a state of emergency for Alberta. Plus thousands of people have faced evacuation while the wildfires have burned approximately 1 million acres. Also, smoke from the Alberta wildfires has swirled all the way into the northeastern United States. Image via the Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere at Colorado State and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (CIRA/ CSU & NOAA).
Alberta wildfires burn 1 million acres, smoke over US

2 Likes

This has come to fruition and the situation looks very bad. Record heat is causing rapid expansion on existing and new starts. Parts of BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan are seeing large fire activity.

The situation gets more critical tomorrow as the record strength ridge begins to break down, and surface winds increase through the end of the week. Despite higher RH and lower temperatures, the drying component along with the wind could cause unprecedented fire growth for May.

5 Likes
3 Likes

So, California is putting together a short team to send to Canada. Apparently they are picking some feds from each team to leave Thursday. Anybody have any further about which fire they are going to?

2 Likes

They wont be assigned a fire until they arrive and do a general in country briefing, then a fire or complex of fires will be assigned.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Round 3 mobs to Canada getting put together now. A lot of stuff getting ordered, including IMTs. Reports say we will likely see a round 4 of mobs, maybe 5.

3 Likes

The IMT requests are going to be filled as “add hoc” Teams since AD’s, Local Government, and Tribal team members are not going to be allowed, none of the Federal Teams can muster enough people. All the Type 1 and 2 Teams are being polled to see who is able to assist. I think they are trying to field 2 Teams this round.

3 Likes

Is there a Canadian equivalent to this site? I have a few friends who live in the Fort St. John BC area and I would like to read about what’s going on from boots on the ground. (I’ve found a couple government sites but nothing “play-by-play” like we have here.)

TIA

1 Like

Good info: https://twitter.com/hashtag/ABfire?src=hashtag_click&f=live

Goes 18: RAMMB/CIRA SLIDER: Satellite Loop Interactive Data Explorer in Real-time with GOES-16 and Himawari-8 Satellite Imagery

3 Likes

What is the reason for no ADs or LG?

2 Likes

Canadian Wildland Fire Information System

3 Likes

I am not sure. It also happen with deployments to Australia. I am guess it has to do with the language in these international agreements

5 Likes

5-20-2023 1400 PT
Air Spray Gulfstream 695B Bird Dog and two Avro RJ85 fire bombers at Eagle Lake in BC, east of highway 95. I might be reading this funny, but , uh, ASB62 might, actually, be an AC95 Jetprop Commander, but, uh, you know, uh, ADS-B, eh?

I really think its a Jetprop Commander…

2 Likes

Yep, it’s a 695a according to air spray.

2 Likes

Any updates available on mobs to Canada?

2 Likes

There has been a 3rd request for a four more crews and overhead that are being shopped right now. A 4th request for overhead and IMTs may come as early as today.

5 Likes