Wildfire Community Chat

Hi all,

First off I’m the new guy, so feel free to let loose on me for the dumb questions. My background is on the Federal side working very large, multi-team crisis events as one of a team of experts/guides in best practices for collaborating ops using group chat spaces.

Here’s the question I’m throwing out to get a feel for where things are today and possibilities for the future in this community…

Does the wildfire community working above the “radio” or tactical/incident level, (with laptops, or in command centers, or offices) stay in touch and situationally aware of what’s happening or collaborating on support using group chat?

Group chat: Mutliple orgs and people working in a channel focussed on a region, or a topic like aviation, or an organization like a home room.

My guess so far, having only been in my current gig helping the wildfire side with this sort of thing, is that it may happen in pockets, at a local level and using myriad different tools and there is no big chat space that everyone goes to.

If anyone with a background in wildland or structural fire fighting or passionate about supporting, please consider joining the new and growing Wildfire Community chat space in Slack. I had a discussion with Slack this morning about growing and connecting more of the community in their tool (among others) and the folks in this WildFireIntel community are likely to get a lot from the more real-time interaction side (chat). To request membership, just fill out the requst form. Wildfire Community Slack Signup

1 Like