CA-BTU-Dixie?

This is Round Valley Reservoir looking towards Greenville.

2 Likes

Believe I just heard that thunder was reported from the plume, which isn’t terribly surprising given that plume echo tops are somewhere around 28k feet on radar and conditions are pretty unstable

1 Like

https://weathernode.net/flir

1 Like

Mt Meadows (or as the locals call it Walker lake) is on the other side of that column. You can see Round Valley Res in that pic. Westwood was told to evacuate.

4 Likes

Yes when I believe it was Harvey Mountain lookout went out of service she stated thunder.

2 Likes

"Did the Team’s Plan Really Fail?"
Based on what happened in this thread a couple of days ago I decided to try and put the discussion of “failed plans” into better perspective and maybe provide some help for those new to incident management or not familiar with how incident management works. As a result, I wrote a “short” 3 part summary in the General Discussion section, titled “Did the Teams Plan Really Fail?”
Based on current fire activity this may not be the time for this distraction, but before you make any statement about failed plans on this or any thread, I suggest or request that you read it. Some may find it educational and enlightening. It is only a 5 minute read

20 Likes

As the shortwave moves in conditions will be perfect for a downstream pyrcumulonimbus cloud that produces lightning.

Conditions already seen on the Antelope Fire.

2 Likes

The Almanor dam area getting impacted hard.

2 Likes

Westwood Camp being evacuated.

where are they headed?

Fire Camp will be moved to Lassen County Fairgrounds, Susanville.

Civilian shelter moving to Lassen Union High School on Main Street, Susanville.

https://www.facebook.com/1951508178469483/posts/3131278700492419/

2 Likes

Per Westwood Needs Facebook Page, Westwood CSD is begging people to conserve water in Westwood as the power to the pumps that supply the water system are without PG&E power and relying on generator power to operate. They don’t know if they’ll be able to refuel the generators as fire approaches.

3 Likes

If I may ask, how will this effect fire suppression efforts? Do they have a hydrant system? I am not familiar with the area. Given the extreme fire behavior, and what happened to Greenville, I would expect most people to be gone.

Some people throw their sprinkler up on their roof and leave it running before they drive away.

1 Like

They do have hydrants–assuming they are on the same system as the drinking water, it could mean no easily available water to fight fire. So if fire got into town, it would make it hard to stop house to house spread. If other drafting sites aren’t easily available, it would also slow turnaround time for water tenders fighting stuff on the edges of town.

Westwood is Red River Lumber Company’s old mill town, so lots of wood houses at close spacing.

3 Likes

Yes, Westwood is a mess (my High School alma mater so i can say that, right?), lots of old alley sheds and tightly-spaced houses. All of the lots are 50x150’.
Here is a map of the water system. Hope they can sort it out. Alpha Strike Teams are thirsty! If fire gets into town with winds, there’s not much anyone is going to do.
Take a look around in Street View. I sure hope it doesn’t burn. It is a pretty poor place, and so many sweet people live there. https://goo.gl/maps/QCwpa3difgNjEmQg7

8 Likes

Frontal boundary approaching the fire. Increased thunderstorms and wind shift possible.

15 Likes

Fire is really starting to pick up in LAW.

2 Likes

DIXIE FIRE EVACUATION WARNING
8.5.21 3:00 p.m.

The Butte County Sheriff’s Office is issuing an EVACUATION WARNING for the Bald Mountain area, which is in North/Eastern Concow, due to the Dixie Fire. This includes Bald Mountain, east to the Butte/Plumas County Line, and Bald Mountain, south to Oak Point.

Darn thing is going to double back on them…

2 Likes

was hoping it would spare LAW but looks like it is well established.