CA-BTU-Dixie?

The NOPS statement is correct. Unified command will still be team 1 for the next day or so. IMT 3 will transition with IMT 1 probably Sunday. Just getting in place and setting up now.

4 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of discussion about the fire’s movement today… looking at the kmz’s from today vs yesterday vs 2 days ago, it seems to me the north head lost almost all momentum once it got about halfway through the caribou wilderness today, is that right?

Dixie Fire Evening Operations Update, East Zone, Planning Operations Section Chief evening fire video update for August 6.

https://www.facebook.com/1691053097787531/videos/358785859162256

1 Like

Update from on the ground from a media perspective: Drove to the fire’s NNE edge today along the Old Town Rd haul road to the ESE of Westwood today. The fire came through as both a running crown fire and ground fire, with 100% consumption of fuels up until about the last mile. From there it appeared either logging or a more recent fire scar slowed the spread of the blaze, and the last mile or so to the meadow was largely untouched. There was plenty of dozer line (not sure it recent or put in earlier as contingency, or opened up from earlier fire) but it was checked up pretty good against that. No units going direct in that area, but 6 dozers doing a massive 6-10 blade wide break along the Old Town Rd.

Westwood was an evacuated ghost town, with LE patrolling, strike teams in place, and the BNSF fire train gearing up to head to Greenville. Train ended up spraying water all along the 147 rail line. Strike teams prepping homes along the 147 corridor. 89 between Canyondam and Greenville passable but with very dense smoke (extremely hazardous AQI, probably 600+) and blocking out sun so you needed full headlights during daytime. Lots of snags coming down but some of the worst widowmakers next to the road were removed, and falling mods moving around dropping the sketchiest trees.

Yesterday crews did great work in Lake Alamnor West on structure protection. I heard 2 structures and a garage lost (saw the garage first hand). The Santa Rosa County strike team bulldozed the garage on fire and saved the house. Big stops in there protecting houses. There was also alot of prepwork done by homeowners with FMZs and defensible space, so kudos for that.

Lots of dozer and prep work in Crescent Mills, fire was still up the ridge behind town (hope it stays that way). Didn’t make it to the fire out past Chester to the NW today (way out in the Lassen NF now). Hoping the lid on the inversion allows them to get more dozer and contingency line in, prep structures, etc. Was about 15 degrees cooler today under the inversion. Also along 36 north of Alamanor Peninsula, lots of dozer work being done. Phoschecked north side of highway. Further west on 36 back outside of Chester, more dozer line going in, looks like a freeway. Not sure I’ve covered an incident with more dozers on it. Numerous cabins lost, including a friend of a friend’s.

Interviewed some Greenville evacuees at the Red Cross shelter in Quincy today, they are devastated and know their house in town center is likely gone. They are being provided food, water, shower facilities etc and resources are being provided to them for next steps to figure out the following weeks for shelter, etc.

Last gentleman I talked to was an older man who was from Crescent Mills. When I think the hell this fire has wrought down on Greenville and Canyondam, I think of civilians like him who still have a fighting chance of a home to return to. You all are making that happen, so thank you. As always a privilege to help share the story of the work wildland firefighters too. See you all at the next one. - Orange Curtain.

PS - I’d post some photos but it’s saying the IO is full…

59 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to write from the first hand perspective. This really helps folks understand the utter devastation this #demonfire has done.

13 Likes

Something about a structure fire in CHP cad about 4 am. Could this be what it was?

1 Like

That makes sense with the time

Not that it provides any solace given the extreme conditions, it is interesting to see tech being added to the fight. I believe I saw this mentioned before, but not sure the video was provided. If a duplicate, my apologies: https://twitter.com/i/status/1423724481671876608

3 Likes
2 Likes

The frontal passage the other night pushed all the smoke from Dixie, RiverComplex (KNF), and other fires down to the NEU area and further… I’m in AEU and it’s been horrible. River not likely to be producing enough to be seen on camera. Probably the fire you mentioned on CHP site.

Thank you so much for the ability to check on the communities of Crescent Mills, Taylorsville and the Greenville Rancheria, firedozer.

1 Like

Damage assessment information

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=91c5dc150e53415fa85a2420871aa214

3 Likes

Has anyone heard about the condition of the mill in Chester? I was told they had some fire on the property just curious if anyone knew the extent of it

The mill has virtually zero damage.

5 Likes

I w as there when the fire came through and great job by all. Small fire on top of a roof but glad the mill was safe.

4 Likes

Shame to see some abandoned but locally historic buildings like Cedar Chalet and the Stover ski cabin, gone, but to be fair they’ve been vulnerable to some form of destruction (wildfire, arson, vandalism, deliberate demo) for a long time. And the actively used commercial or residential property losses around Chester seem amazingly low.

Not so amazing for Canyon Dam, Greenville, Deer Creek, etc., of course. It’s going to be inpleasant driving down 89 from Chester to Quincy for a long time

8 Likes

Wind flow is flowing north up towards Redding from Sacramento and NE into Oregon and Nevada.
Nothing over 15mph currently:

Should start to clear out the southern Sacramento valley and points south, if it continues.

3 Likes

Looks like the northern and eastern flanks of the fire started to become active about 12:30 today. The northern edge looks like maybe it is pushing east across the South side of Swain Mtn, and the east flank is pushing up the SW side of Coyote Peak, just west of Moonlight Burn.

15 Likes

Anyone know of any outstanding resource orders for Dixie?

1 Like

Increased smoke plumes across NorCal fires:
RAMMB/CIRA SLIDER: Satellite Loop Interactive Data Explorer in Real-time with GOES-16 and Himawari-8 Satellite Imagery

2 Likes