CA-BTU-Dixie?

He didn’t mention Janesville directly, but did voice concern the fire might run between the Sheep and Moonlight burn scars.

Morning Operations East Zone Update 8/8.

https://www.facebook.com/USFSPlumas/videos/553305552484150/

1 Like

An evacuation warning was just issued

3 Likes

New Evacuation Warnings issued for Janesville area west of Hwy 395 from Bass Hill to Janesville Grade west to the Lassen County line including the area south of Bass Hill and the dirt portion of Wingfield Rd on the Janesville Side - Zones LAS-E012 - A thru F

1 Like

Morning Briefing 24:50 into it. OSC states that this is “unique” and the first time a CalFire team has transitioned with another CalFire Team. Because NWCG and other LG and All-Hazards IMTs use the same 14+ for teams I assumed (possibly incorrectly) it was completed for that reason. Regardless, for the first time for CalFire it occurred. I do realize they have been at it for longer than 14, and that might be a reason that after XX number of days fatigue needs to be mitigated.

There are still two zones. CalFire IMT 3 has changed the organization within their zone to something I have not seen nor heard of since Yellowstone. They stated they have done it previously and would like to institute it again. Others may have more experience in how CalFire has implemented this previously. It might be a good “General Discussion” topic to start such as “CalFire and Their Use of Sectors” because it does not belong in the middle of the Q&D thread.

Within the West Zone there will be 3 Sectors. Each Sector will be managed by a Deputy Operations Section Chief (DOSC1). Within each Sector will be one or more Operational Branches (OPBD). Under the OPBDs will be the division or groups. Divisions or Groups are managed by a Division/Group Supervisor (DIVS). So, organizationally it will be OSC1 → DOSC1s → OPBDs → DIVS.

10 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: CalFire and Their Use of Sectors.

1 Like

I evacuated from the airport in Chester as the fire was working its way north up the runway … and now I’m about a mile south of Standish, as Janesville five miles to the west gets an evac warning for the fire heading east.

Sorry folks, this fire is obviously following me. Next time I’ll sit out in the middle of the lake.

(On a side note, the Internet just went down, though cell is still up).

23 Likes

that was my first thought one of there engines burnt while parked in station

In looking at GOES-17 and the IR tracking flight, it seems like the fire has made a pretty aggressive push east and is now pushing the outer boundary of the Moonlight Fire scar. Anyone else seeing that?

Calfire does not adhere to that policy

Would you mind sharing links? I closed that window dang it! I’m watching the FLIR cams on Twitch and there are some big runs… I just can’t get oriented. Thanks

1 Like

FLIR cams on Twitch: Twitch

4 Likes

here is GOES-17:
https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu/?sat=goes-17&sec=full_disk&x=13377.75&y=3072.875&z=7&angle=0&im=12&ts=1&st=0&et=0&speed=130&motion=loop&maps[borders]=white&lat=0&p[0]=geocolor&p[1]=fire_temperature&opacity[0]=1&opacity[1]=0.43&pause=0&slider=-1&hide_controls=0&mouse_draw=0&follow_feature=0&follow_hide=0&s=rammb-slider&draw_color=FFD700&draw_width=6&q=1

here is what i am using to flight track:
https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

Fire is also closing the gap on Dyer Mtn this afternoon. It is engulfing the comm tower just to the east.

7 Likes

Multiple spots across A21 and crews are picking them up. The column is starting to lay over and will hamper seeing any additional spots.

5 Likes

Header starting to show on the east Quincy cam. Is that the area of the spots ?

1 Like

We still have 3-4 hrs of active burning. Gotta wonder why they’re even trying to chase spots here. A-21 won’t hold under current conditions, done deal. Fire ran 2.5 miles here yesterday, spotting over 1/2 mile.
Yesterday’s spread map.

We’re in this for long haul. No use beating people up for no good reason.

15 Likes

That’s the fire below dyer mountain.

1 Like

P zones 20, 29 and 30 that are under a mandatory evacuation.

1 Like

Looks like the fire is moving closer to the Dyer Mountain cameras. As previously posted East Quincy probably has the best overall view of the pyrocumulus this afternoon. Drove A21 on Thursday and while it’s a road, @pyrogeography is right that chances of it holding given current conditions are sketchy, in my view. They put in a freeway of dozer line there, but with spot fires as they are, we shall see.

4 Likes