CA-BTU-Dixie?

We got the evac warning last evening, N side of Hwy 36, just west of the St Bernard Lodge. Hope we don’t lose the place (Hubby had heart attack in midst of our property clean-up, quadruple bypass, still in recovery phase, so have finished making fire safe) Hubby says, well, if we lose it, we’ll rebuild and this time make 2-store w/actual garage lol
Stay safe everybody … this is a scary one!

15 Likes

This is beautiful work…why isn’t it shared on the news or publicly? We are in West Quincy…

1 Like

Pyro, I agree. Thanks for taking the time and energy to put all that great info in an easily viewed and understood format… great work, very helpful

7 Likes

Is any of this fire burning healthy or is it nuking everything?

Everything I’ve seen from the air has been nuked

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: CA-PNF-Fly??

:flushed:. Copy thanks.

Our family has been coming up to Plumas and Lake Almanor for nearly 50 years, but I’m monitoring this from my house in Oakland. The aircraft monitoring sites I’m able to access don’t show any aircraft over the fire at the moment, but I don’t know whether that’s because I’m accessing only the free sites. Are there any tankers or copters on the fire today?

1 Like

I’m not there and don’t know specifically, but the smoke conditions have grounded huge parts of the air show over the last number of days. The ADS-B coverage is also impacted when the aircraft are low and/or flying in steep terrain.

6 Likes

As of typing this, there are two Helco/Recon ships up over the fire, in the TFR. Lots of variables with aircraft, such as wind, visibility, flight times being shorter than the visible day so don’t burn your 8 hours up starting at 9am and have no aircraft available at 6pm when it’s hot and there’s still 3 hours of flyable daylight. And as others said, the entire consumer flight tracking industry runs on hobbyists with receivers that can see the aircraft and feed the data back to the servers. Places like these that are remote might not have a hobbyist who enjoys tracking planes AND has a computer/aptitude to run it 24/7 AND has decent internet out in the sticks.

10 Likes

Left there about a hour and a half ago…smoked in all the way from Chester to almost Red Bluff…

2 Likes

FWIW - TNKR912 is southbound from Medford as I’m typing. We’ll see which one of the conflagrations it heads to …

3 Likes

FR24 is sending me an ADS-B receiver for here in Chester, which will arrive just a tad bit late to help monitor flying on this fire (of which there hasn’t been any from Chester - the SEATs and the Air Attack left five days ago for a fire up by Alturas, the smoke blew in while they were gone, so they diverted to Reno/ Truckee and haven’t been back). For future fires that aren’t completely smoking us, in thus allowing aerial fire fighting from Chester, it’ll help.

9 Likes

That would be awesome! Sometimes I could see consistent data points and see where they were dropping, sometimes not.

Can see a double headers from Maxwell on I-5

5 Likes

Private contractor survey? Fireguard or similar? Came out of McClellan. Edit: Tail # search returns “Cloud Splitter” or “Courtney Aviation”.

1 Like

https://courtneyaviation.com/

5 Likes

Thanks! I was still stuck on trying to search Cloud Splitter without much luck.

1 Like

lol I was too and ran across several corporate records saying the company was defunct. But the corporate officer of record is now the president of Courtney Aviation so they’re related.

2 Likes

Evacuation warning was upgraded to an order for the Butte Meadows area. Sounds like things are heating up in Division 5. Does anyone have details? What was the trigger point for expanding the evacuations? My scanner is no longer picking up most of the incident traffic, if anyone happens to have the current frequencies in use for that Division I would be grateful- I know the comm plan has been constantly changing. I have family in that area.

3 Likes