CA-BTU-Dixie?

I believe this may be for a new fire on the Lassen NF.

3 Likes

It’s really exposed to the downcanyon winds, for sure.

15 Likes

Great Intel @pyrogeography . Looks like slack at 2300 then kickoff soon after.

2 Likes

Yes it is, they updated the order. Apologies.

1 Like
5 Likes

How long till it becomes a situation where communities are in trouble?

2 Likes

Fire stayed farther east than I thought it would yesterday. It sounded on AirTac like the open canopy and rockiness in the 2008 burn area really helped the tankers get the west flank thoroughly painted. The head was really narrow.
The big question now seems to be where to tie in the north/eastern flanks. Looks like it has the alignment to continue to run up Rock Creek, though it will be in similar fuels as long as it stays in the 2008 burn (light blue). If it gets past Rock Creek (above the Rock Creek label on this map), it gets into the 2000 Storrie Burn, which reburned during the 2008 Butte Complex.
Either way, any fire that becomes established outside 2008 burn scar is going to move in a lot different fashion than what we have seen last 36 hours.

If the fire moves far enough upstream, it will be across from areas that didn’t burn last year in the Bear/North Complex, shown in purple. The SW edge of fire is bumping 2018 Camp Fire (blue)

14 Likes

Great Intel Zeak
We got a solid Contengency line last year on the BTU-NORTH Complex. But if it gets established on the wrong side of Lynch Meadows, there are some clear cuts to tie it into, but more than a “Few” plantations with 2-4’ of red slash from the thinning. As it goes NW from Lynch Meadws it gets into the road system of “400U’s”. The “western Contengency line(over Granite Ridge)” shown on the rock creek map was never put it. Too Rocky and too far west. The line went over the high point(4800’) on the Sec 23/24 of 24N05E then turned WNW and crossed the creek up the Ridge thru Sec 13, 14 and diangle thru Sec 11. We stopped(rocked out) in Sec 11 in the area of the 410R line on the border of Sec 2/11. The are was full of 10-15’ Manzanita and hide the down timber from the 08 Butte Lightning Complex and the 00 Storie fire. It will be interesting what happens with the weather forecasted and if a true down canyon blow happens from midnight to daylight.

HEADS ON A SWIVEL & LCES

3 Likes

Not correct. The NF Feather River Canyon normally has significant down slope winds at dusk followed by down canyon winds during hot summer nights. The down canyon winds last until 9am to maybe 10am the next morning. I know well because I worked that location.

1 Like

Fire is trying hard to build an icecap.
http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastamodoc/index.html?camera=Axis-YankeeHill&v=fd40729

4 Likes

it is interesting why BTU has not activated a Team yet.

I’ll bet it’s in the works, CF has a team on hard cover.

1 Like

Just for info, CF always (during peak season) brings up the next team on hard cover when the call week Team is committed. That team will stay on hard cover until their normal call week comes the following Monday.

2 Likes

What’s the IAP for the day? Any new units being assigned? And how’s the activity of the fire?

If the unit can support the fire on their own NOPS will want them to keep it and not activate a team. That being said, with the resources needed for this fire, I would say a team order is going to happen soon.

2 Likes

Looking at the DPA maps it looks like it has burned onto Plumas NF DPA. If it continues to move to the NE they may call in a Federal Team. DPA maps have very little reference points so it is hard for me to say for certain.

1 Like

Downtown Quincy, looking towards “Dixie”

7 Likes

The Devil went down to Dixie

3 Likes

http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastamodoc/index.html?camera=Axis-DyerMtn2&v=fd40729

https://caltopo.com/p/7D32 GOES current heat and imagery showing smoke and relation to Dotta / Sugar Beckwourth Complex.

Smoke at Lake Almanor is looking pretty ominous. If this pushes with the West/NW winds up canyon could be there in a few days. Has favorable weather and with the return of instability, heat and monsoonal moisture this coming weekend/week could make it interesting (as if it needs any help).

2 Likes