CA-ENF-Caldor?

12 hour old flight from FIRIS in Blue
Updated Courtney in Pink and some spots marked from their data

3 Likes

On a fire in 2008 I recall standing by a big rock field with sparse fuels and stating the fire would never get through. The FBAN just giggled. Two days later upon our return the fire had roared through, hopscotching across and finding whatever sparse fuels it could. Sharing only as a learning opportunity as to how efficiently fires can spot through granite/rocks. This image is from overnight. Showing how the big plumes on top of Carson Spur threw spots down towards Kirkwood Lake and now its spotting through the rocks/granite. It’ll be out of there soon enough and onto more continuous fuels, potentially heading towards Luther Pass in the coming days.

10 Likes

Hello @mwtahoe

I create the KML files using the raw data from ftp site which I link to at the beginning of each of my KML posts. How I get those KML files using QGIS is roughly documented in my post here:

2 Likes

Thanks! Now that the ops map is updated, I can see how you did it :slight_smile: I found the operational KML file too so that mostly serves the purpose of showing where the fire is relative to the lines and latest heat and IR data.

From the 2108 IR Flight.

Looking mainly north over 50

East of previous picture same orientation

Looking south into the basin / South Lake Tahoe

Looking south east over the southern finger towards Kirkwood

3 Likes

Bear in mind, also, that the dozer lines on the map are those either planned or intended for strategic purposes. Its not a complete inventory of dozer lines.

2 Likes

Based on comments from Dixie fire people, I would say you definitely can’t trust the data to be 100% accurate which is why I added the disclaimer. It’s really obvious for things like lines tagged as planned dozer lines that were in front of the fire but now completely within a burn area yet still tagged as planned. People commented that completed dozer lines were tagged in the data but weren’t on the ground yet. I can imagine there are lines made that weren’t documented, or the data never made it all the way upstream into the database. It’s a whole lot of different Fed, CF, and contractors providing the data, some do it better than others. Some entries have great notes on work done and repairs needed, many have no notes at all.

6 Likes

Damage assessment maps updated with Sierra-at-Tahoe and surrounding areas.

Link to ArcGIS map. bit.ly/3DB31in

3 Likes

LAFD Strike Team 1002A deployed and en route.

5 Likes

Any body know if these are additional requests, or they replacements for STEs that are timing out on their 14 day limit?

A lot of activity showing on the Mt. Danaher camera.
http://www.alertwildfire.org/tahoe/index.html?camera=Axis-MtDanaher&v=fd40728

2 Likes

I would assume new requests that have been UTF for weeks. Region 5 just sent out an OES task force last night which was an order that had gone unfilled. There is still a lengthy list of outstanding resource requests.

3 Likes

A lot of the local folks, including the OES engines, are rotating crews off engines. Not sending replacement equipment.

4 Likes

Sounds like some night time helicopter work will be happening tonight in the Christmas Valley and Silver Lake/Highway 88 corridor area’s

3 Likes

FIRIS Perimiter from 1430 in blue over the ops map.
DIV I

5 Likes

New angle from Hawkins Peak
http://beta.alertwildfire.org/region/tahoe/?camera=Axis-HawkinsPeak

1 Like

view from Heavenly flir this evening

7 Likes

Looks like order to re populate Camino and Pollock pines came through late this afternoon. So good news for the displaced

10 Likes

They restored power in Christmas Valley, Meyers, and Country Club Heights this evening. My ring cameras are back up. Lots of police and fire presence in the neighborhood. The firefighters did an incredible job protecting homes in the basin.

26 Likes