CA-ENF-Caldor?

True. Obviously a lot of cut and paste going on which in some cases has resulted in some glaring errors.

2 Likes

Evac Warnings upgraded to Orders.

3 Likes

Where? For the rest of South Lake Tahoe?

1 Like

Looking at many of the structures in the area ( Nebelhorn to the lake), protection operations looks difficult with close in vegetation/timber let alone ember cast.

2 Likes

Capt9110, I share your concerns. The IAP’s have been generally more vague than I’m used to seeing per Division break outs. Was happy to see the burn op on Division L last night and the use of Caples fire 2019 but haven’t seen very much firing op’s which, was mentioned earlier by another member, as being critical to fighting fire in this country given the factors. Hoping there is a shift of resources from some of the other divisions like D & A with little fire intensity or growth, and resources reassigned to team 4. Talking with USFS Division 1 who confirmed that 40 strike teams were ordered immediate need to Tahoe Basin through So-Cal GACC. Hoping a few shifts are made today in priorities.

2 Likes

I’ve been off the radio for an hour or so. Anyone have any idea what is going on with the south side(?) of the fire? Appears fairly far west of Leek Sp. Watching a good column develop on the Armstrong and North Moke cameras.

Meanwhile Placer side of Tahoma can stay. I live 110 ft inside El Dorado line. Bummer.

For those that say the Div assignments are vague, remember Division breakouts happen every shift change briefing to go over the written plan and make changes if needed. Then there’s the tailgate briefing at the line assignment. Then the plan mods on the fly. The written IAP 204’s are an outline sometimes only good at the moment it’s drafted due to rapidly changing fire environment and/or resource allocations.

18 Likes

Division L northwest of silver lake is the main fire with the big column. In the foreground is leek springs looking from Armstrong which is division m & n that has firing ops going.

5 Likes

For those that say the Div assignments are vague

Let’s just avoid anyone here second-guessing anything being done out on the lines. We’re not there. Just don’t.

34 Likes

Any online frequencies available for caldor?

People forget that resource availability is as a minimum. Not the place to arm chair especially right now.

11 Likes

Dozer line 1-2-3 blades in width, reinforced with high coverage level retardant line and engine support and sometimes even plumbed can’t stand alone without some firing in these conditions. The fuel indicies, the probability of ignition scores and ember casting is just too high and conducive to long range spotting. Conventional line is just not holding. What I’ve experienced this year, firing ops have to be very well supported and deeply grided. Night Ops are more successful than day. Line prep has to be extreme-like overkill. Very resource intensive and we just don’t have the resources.

Post Script: This post was made in response to questions regarding the use of Firing Ops that have since been removed.

23 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Operations Briefings and Composition

Mod Note: Everyone…We all have differing perspectives on the Caldor however, let’s decist from any further arm chairing this. There a vast number of IFs in everyone’s opinions. I know this area well outside of the main corridors. It is steep nasty overgrown terrain that does not lend itself to rapid line construction especially considering that there are right now 3,600 people assigned to this fire with a large number of WUI structures in the lower altitudes.

Any further arm chair debates with respect to what should have happened, could have happened or might have been the outcomes are going to be deleted.

42 Likes

Does anyone know if the GACCs were able to fill the IN for the STEN order?

First time I have seen a snow maker being used for Structure Protection!

Sierra-at-Tahoe

11 Likes

Squaw, Alpine Meadows, and Sugar Bowl all did the same during that epic King Run (12? 14? miles in one day).

3 Likes

URGENT - FIRE WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Reno NV
1028 AM Mon Aug 30

Greater Lake Tahoe and Truckee Area-

…RED FLAG WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
11 PM PDT WEDNESDAY FOR UNSTABLE CONDITIONS, GUSTY WINDS, AND LOW
HUMIDITY FOR THE EASTERN SIERRA AND WESTERN NEVADA…

• Changes…Extended Red Flag Warning to 11 PM Wednesday.

• Winds…Southwest 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 35 mph.
    Gusts may reach 40 mph in some locations Tuesday, especially
    along Highway 395. Winds gusts may exceed 50 mph over ridge
    ** lines in the Sierra late tonight and Tuesday.**

• Humidity…Minimum values 5 to 15 percent.

• Duration…3 to 6 hours Monday and Tuesday afternoons. Winds
    will not subside much for exposed midslopes and ridges during
    the overnight periods.

• Impacts…The combination of unstable conditions, gusty winds
    and low humidity can cause fire to rapidly grow in size and
    intensity.

3 Likes

Could foam be introduced into this process? Similar to a foam generator used for runways. More effective than water.