CA-ENF-Caldor?

That’s what we had all over our place after the Creek fire. Makes you think about how lucky you are. Glad you are back home now.

7 Likes

Absolutely!! I actually cried, I was overwhelmed with the realization of just how lucky I was. I spent 17 days with other evacuees who lost everything in Grizzly Flats. A good friend lost a special place there too. I’m so grateful!!!

7 Likes

Found the same 2-3 days ago, north of Pony Express and west of Alder. Without measuring, I think we are at least 5 miles from the closest fire. Again, we were all VERY lucky. But this puts the length of the evacuation into perspective.

1 Like

CF IMT 2 assigned to Caldor. Not sure if relief or?

1 Like

Swap out with 6 for relief and will assume command Monday…

6 Likes

Even here in Ahwahnee had stuff from Creek. Travels a long way, never know if you’re far enough.

2 Likes

In these past weeks of firefighting here and elsewhere, I seen some great public videos of firecrews in action.

However many crews are shown actively working without gloves, nomex sleeves rolled up and goggles on helmets?

Safety Officers take note: I know they’ve worked hard many days and weeks, but a disregard for personal safety not using PPE is a concern.

Being a retired FC with CF after 35 years, every agency assigned there should take this seriously.

23 Likes

Noticed the same. Very concerning as we hear of a fireline death @ Dixie today.

1 Like

Sad news from the Dixie. RIP to the one FF, and a speedy recovery for the 3 others

4 Likes

Sleeves rolled up don’t get firefighters killed. Any safety officer putting that as their target should be relieved of duty.
Firefighters die when burn ops are done on the fly without notifying adjoining forces. Firefighters die when they are under trees that are black. They die when arrogant branch’s/divisions push plans that make no sense, and expose personnel to undue risk, for no gain. All these things need to be monitored. Sleeves, goggles, not a chance

25 Likes

I disagree
No one said they cause death. But in my 32 + years, they can certainly lead to injuries otherwise prevented. These items are invented and required because of a reason. One thing leads to another and eventually someone isn’t wearing a helmet and gets smacked by a widowmaker.
Please dont minimize safety gear and best practices. The type of attitude you reference, no offense, leads to injuries and eventually bigger problems.

15 Likes

All, while safety is key on any incident, this is drifting from the Caldor. Please feel free to start a new thread regarding safety on incidents. There you can discuss individual safety items or the overall involvement of SOFR’s in operations decisions.

Carry on…

17 Likes

Evac order reduced to warning in some parts of the SLT area

9 Likes

AND up the West Shore to Tahoma :+1:

5 Likes

“A U.S. Forest Service firefighter has died in California’s second-largest wildfire in history, according to the United States Forest Service.
The lead agency managing the Dixie fire tells KCRA 3 a U.S. forest service firefighter assigned to the Dixie fire has died from an illness. The firefighter was not actively fighting flames when he passed.
This after the death was reported in the latest fire update from Cal Fire.”
still sad, tho.

1 Like

My KML files for 09/06:

1 Like

Does anyone have the dozer repair pdf? It shows what areas the dozers damaged

1 Like

My KML files for 20210907 here:

2 Likes

Does anyone know if there is a way to get burn severity data for the fire? (i.e. what burned super hot vs a slow and low burn).

1 Like

FS BAER team will have a finalized soil burn severity complete by early next week.veg mortality is going to track roughly as the moderate and high soil burn severity unfortunately. But official veg mortality generall comes out the following spring because tree mortality sometimes takes time

8 Likes