CA-KNP-Complex (Contained)

There’s no roads or dozer lines there , that’s the east fork below mineral king, case mtn to west and north, al park land to the south and south west and east , not good at all , very little fire history in that area in the last 50 years that I know of , a few small fires from lightning that’s it , if it runs south up the canyon headed straight for mineral king area

4 Likes

There is some granite up on top before the valley on south side. If it continues around the north side it’ll stop by timber gap. The mouth of the valley is only defendable spot. I was up there 2 weeks ago and the fuel load is heavy. Hoping the crews have had good luck in cabin cove, atwell mill, and silver city.

4 Likes

Yes that was a lightning strike, and a dirty burn , lots of rock mixed where the eden fire was , surprisingly they hit that with retardant drops , we were staying at our friends cabin in cabin cove that weekend

5 Likes

Today’s resources.

2 Likes

@Jones…was referring to the work that was done in surrounding areas to prevent forward progress into Three Rivers that was made last year on Castle

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: CA-KNP-Complex???

Don’t see any spots downhill of Mineral King Rd.

9 Likes

Here is some reporting for KNP from Lookout correspondent Chuck Ervin, with maps from Ryan Stephens: Southern Sierra Fires – 9/25/2021 – The Lookout

7 Likes

As of a bit ago there was NO spot fire below the MK road just a slop near Slap Jack Creek and the MK road giving them fits but NO fire below the road.

10 Likes

AA15 over the fire with helco which is out reconing for air opportunities. No joy for copters or drones. Will remain overhead for awhile.

@16:30 AA15 is still looking for opportunities. However, visibility is too poor for Fixed wing or copters.

8 Likes

Again AA15 flew the fire for 2 hours this Sunday morning requested a sky crane launch then minutes later cancelled as air conditions deteriorated. He flew back to Fresno. Will return around 1400.

7 Likes

Another very thorough post on the #KNPComplex and #WindyFire from our Southern Sierra correspondent Chuck Ervin and Mapmaker Ryan Stephens. Read it on The Lookout: Southern Sierra Fires – 9/26/2021 – The Lookout

9 Likes

AA15 did get to return around 1400 and was able to get a couple of copters to assist ground crews. I did not hear the work location.

4 Likes

New team

New update

https://fb.watch/8i-GyCFRQy/

1 Like

AA15 arrived over the fire at 0900 and ordered up 2 copters into Div. S and X. Div.c requesting air support but, too much smoke, so unable to help.

Firewatch51 complete the IR flight and is enroute Caldor.

9 Likes

The view from Eshom point, looking down along the North Kaweah River to the south, and East towards the park, I’d say they could wash the heat off the mountain if they wanted to, in which they especially tried to today on the western aspect along the river. Lookin East there is a little more heat that a few Type 1s where dropping on all day. I imagine the RHs were sky high as the cloud layer was mixed in with the Burn area. We’re about 1 restless Division away from doing project work by my experience.

13 Likes

https://fb.watch/8kspDxG_0_/

29 Sept update

2 Likes

That happened around Shadequarter today…

Ops update 30 Sept

4 Likes

Interesting…tanker 164 LAT enroute to the incident.
I’ll have to dial in the air frequency. No activity on AA frequency, unless changed.
I caught Tankers 02 and 163 on load and return. Bravo 55 lead on scene at 1825.

3 Likes