CA-NEU-RICES??

A 3D pic with FIRIS perimeter from a 0630 flight. Lots of underslung line.

10 Likes

1:11:25 PM

Per CalFire - Fire is approximately 900 Acres and still 0% Contained. Fire has backed down to the Yuba River in a couple locations without spotting across. Contingency lines are being built on the north side of the river in Yuba County in the event it does spot across. All evacuations and road closures remain in place at this time. Several tankers and copters are currently working the incident.

7 Likes

Dare I say this but it’s looking much better. Still a ton of work to go but looks like they’re doing good work out there

5 Likes

2:01:47 PM

Updated mapping from FIRIS at 1:45pm has the fire at 877 Acres (updated perimeter map above)

4 Likes

Always good to have a plan B (or C, or D)

9 Likes

Was that a jettison to clear the ridge or pretreating? Either way that plan is down the alphabet a ways.

3 Likes

Playback shows a series of drops - they’re painting

5 Likes

17 posts were split to a new topic: Pre-Treating w/Air resources

Any word on a Calfire team ??? Or sticking with type 3 org

2 Likes

Looks like a little heat in the river canyon. Hopefully they can keep it contained to that.

5 Likes

7:37:42 PM

Per CalFire - The fire is now 904 Acres and 10% Contained. No spots across the river but steep terrain along the south side of the Yuba River is making containment difficult. All evacuations and road closures remain in place.

1 Like

9:45:57 PM

Picture posted by CalFire NEU of Air Attacks view of the fire just before sunset tonight

6 Likes

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article263056653.html

1 Like

Moved the discussion of aerial pre-treating to General Discussion. Please stay on track relating to this incident.

14 Likes
3 Likes

Question: During the initial attack, Air to Air was on AIR 4 151.280. On Day 2, this traffic moved. I was unable to locate the new freq. Any info would be appreciated.

They were/are on 166.9375 as well as a handful of AM band (120/130 MHz) frequencies. I believe these are assigned on the fly and not part of any predefined/named channels like “Air Tac 123” or whatever.

Only one helicopter on the plan for today.

5 Likes

That was in error.
5 ships today, 4 being released as needs decline. One ship tomorrow. The 204s got crossed up

1 Like

Adding to what Birken_Vogt was saying, those predefined freqs are for Initial Attack only, that first operational period. Having them pre-defined like that allows everyone to be on the same page regardless of where you are, or coming from, in the state. 99% of the time you’ll know the Air Tactics, A/G, and Rotor Victor AM freq just by what area the fire is in.

Then for the next Op period, if the need is expected, the incident will order up some new freqs for the extended attack. Typically Air Tactics will be a fed freq, calfire incidents will assign one of their mid-teens early 20’s tacticals for the A/G, and then a completely random rotor vic will be assigned, which is sometimes also used as their TFR freq. You can get the TFR freq by going online to something like skyvector.com and clicking on the red polygon over the fire area. The freq will be in the Point of Contact area. You can also listen carefully during the morning after IA; when air attack first comes up, there’s usually an aircraft that didn’t get the details so freqs are said over the air, usually on the fire common 122.925.

That’s the fun part of the scanner hunt. Otherwise I cheat and am often privy to the frequency orders placed and will try and share them here on at least norcal fires. I did so for Rices in this QA thread above.

10 Likes