CA-PNF-North Complex

That’s concerning if it makes it there. Especially when the down canyon winds start up tonight.

3 Likes

It looks like it it is making noise again

these are the gusts

Winds are calm in Paradise, looks more like a normal flow Not as breezy as the last few days

This is sustained winds

3 Likes

this is from up by Lake Almanor

3 Likes

Wildland 28, the Colorado Multi-mission PC-12 is checking that area out for the Ops team. He mentioned the piece in Grizzly Creek is 2.5 miles from reaching Hwy 70 as it runs up Grizzly Dome from the creek.

4 Likes

about 10 minutes ago from Flea Mountain Cam. Without the gusty winds of last night is this a threat for getting across the Canyon ?

3 Likes

Calfire is staged at flea Mt so there is at least concern that it could jump.

2 Likes

Looking at Bald Mountain cam at sunset, it looks like it has spotted across Grizzly Creek about 2 miles upstream from Grizzly Dome. It looked like there were spots visible on Flea Mtn camera right as it switched to IR at dusk. I think it is a safe bet that it’s in the main NF Feather Canyon above Arch Rock Tunnel now.
http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastamodoc/index.html?camera=Axis-BaldMtnButte1&v=81e004f

2 Likes

Hopefully nobody decides to try to fire Rim Road above Concow in the middle of the night. An escaped firing operation there burned into Concow in 2008 and destroyed the town.

5 Likes

Winds are coming up here. getting some decent gusts. ash is in the air and it smells like burning wood.
With the gusting winds they really wouldn’t try a burn op would they? Given tonight’s winds where does this head if it drops in the canyon and crosses 70 at the tunnels?

Depending if and where it gets across, my bet it would run up the drainage below or a little east of Flea Mtn.

1 Like

And don’t forget the same thing happened in the same town in the '90s.

Zeke, can you toss up a map of the canyon on the north side adjacent to Grizzley Creek and Elephant Butte Tunnels?

1 Like

Thinking the fire is coming out of Grizzly Creek around Bear Ranch Hill, which is above Arch Rock Tunnel.
Camp Fire in blue.

5 Likes

Wondering how much fuel is on the north side? Seems to me that the brush made a substantial comeback in that camp fire footprint.

1 Like

too much. way too much

Pyrogeography posted this last night

Does that answer your question? Brush I saw last week while driving around up there was a few feet high up to maybe sixish, A lot of debris and snags left from different fires. Fair amount of timber on the north side of Flea Mt still left. I saw Cal-Fire had done a fair amount of dozer work up in the area of late. Hopefully it was help them some now

1 Like

My comment was more about the south rim of the Canyon. The north side burned earlier in the event, and seemed to get more severe effects than the flats on the top of the south side. Feel a bit like an armchair warrior making many predictions about the fuels out there, as I haven’t hiked much of it outside of the areas on Rim Road.
Rim Road area and Flea Valley Creek burned so hot in Camp Fire, it’s hard to see much being there now but grass - it really nuked.

Photos of the Concow area right after Camp Fire:

3 Likes

other side of the mountain is still fairly green that is what I meant. If you were crossing near arch rock wouldn’t you be on the north side of the Flea Mountain and headed toward Stirling City like you first thought? And I should have been more clear about the brush heights that was meant in regards to the West Branch Drainage . I have been clearing properties most of the summer and have gotten looks at it from several different venues up and down and thought that there was enough left down in there to burn again about anywhere I could see . Sorry to misuse your earlier post, And nice pictures !

2 Likes

Those pics are a little outdated. There is a ton of brush growth in flea canyon and on both sides of 70 now. The east side of 70 has a ton of trees and logs from the camp fire. Big B and a little bit of concow were logged but that won’t really slow down a fire should it reach those spots. And there are green patches especially in the drainages on the east side of 70. In short, fire could certainly carry in that canyon again.

1 Like

that’s sort of what I thought . I am cutting 2 year old broom 8 foot high and an inch thick all over up here.
but I was sort of making an assumption to all from only what areas I have seen.

1 Like

The brush grows quick around concow.

1 Like