CA-SBC-Plant-2023???

Why is an Army (Intel 12) aircraft being deployed to this fire, and what is it’s function?

2 Likes

Intel12 is a FIRS aircraft they use them every year, they use them to map and get a more accurate size on acreage or pertinent intel on the fire.

3 Likes

Previous discussions of INTEL AIRCRAFT

3 Likes

Im seeing it timed with sundown, roughly by 9 pm wind turning back on itself with a northeast setup by 10-11 pm. Nothing strong but a wind shift for sure…

4 Likes

I’m curious if this to the east is having any adverse effects on the fire.

3 Likes

Not at this time, too far away and moving away from Plant Fire.

2 Likes

Copy that and was just curious and thank you for the inte.

3 Likes

Plant Fire Perimeter - Google My Maps

4 Likes

Cool, thanks Thatguyoutwest for the clarifiction regarding how military aircraft can help these teams, as an added resource.

3 Likes

Thanks modcamo for the link, and educating me, and thanks to the techie guys. That’s why after 30 years in tech, I always keep learning something new every day.

3 Likes

Just wanted to clarify, that intel aircraft is not from the military. If is a private contractor that is under contract to provide services for the state of California through OES. Aevex is the contractor. They do a ton of DoD work so thats perhaps why if you searched a tail number it might have come up military from some years back.

8 Likes

Coulson’s Citation II air attack jet has arrived at the fire. (I suppose quite a few aircraft have shifted up to airfields north of LA.) Requesting 2 T1 heli tankers.

Total cloud cover. 25-30+ mph easterlies on the ridges on the south side of the fire. 8-12mph shifting winds in the flats. 55F up on the south ridges, 71F at New Cuyama. Roughly 85% rH. Precipitation front will probably be arriving by 2pm with, maybe, a 0.25" accumulated rainfall by 8pm. Guestimating by VentuSky.

4 Likes

Still on track for light-to-medium precip by 2pm, with variable 10-18mph easterly, south-easterlies through midnight

3 Likes

VentuSky HRRR indicates that the fire will continue to have light precipitation until about 3am and clearing up by 5am tomorrow morning.

Update 8/22: Fire 75% contained, Highway 166 open, evacuations lifted. SBCFire got a pic of a funnel cloud forming over the fire, yesterday.

CA wildfire: Plant Fire 75% contained, high speed winds | San Luis Obispo Tribune

6 Likes