CA-SHF-HIRZ

From the IR, looks like they started a large burnout operation yesterday.

I guess there was never an IA thread started for this fire?

2 Likes

Lst night’s IR.

6 Likes

5,430 acres.

1 Like

Old mill road to hirz mountain road evacuations orders issued earlier this evening.

3 Likes

Hirz inc 6400 acres

1 Like

SHF- HIRZ 9363 acres

4 Likes

Latest from inciweb

They had a couple Scoopers on it today out of Chico. Personally I’m focused more on Mendo Complex than this one but every time I mosey up north to the Carr on MODIS maps I see this one growing more and more. The few times I glanced at Inciweb they’ve had some great writeups, thankfully since this one seems to be off a lot of our radars.

Here’s the latest MODIS/VIIRS with Thursday evening’s IR perimeter, tilted a bit to see the terrain, and Lakehead to the west. Sounds like a lot of 911 calls in the valley in Shasta are the glow from either this or firing ops on the Carr.

1 Like

Crews are conducting burn ops around the western divisions back to the south. Night burning went well off of Bucks Peak. Should be down to the homes along Gillman by tomorrow morning. Then burning from Bucks west and north in the next few days if all goes well. Great job to all the ground pounders.

2 Likes

20,000 ac about 18%

1 Like

ST OES 5809C was dispatched yesterday afternoon to the incident.

One of the places in the State where SRA is checkerboarded. Light blue overlay is SRA, with last night’s IR for Hirz.

2 Likes

Crews last night did a great job burning in the western section. Looks like they have it locked up. Everything coming off green mountain to the southwest sounded in with possible spots here and there as they went.
Can’t say it enough, great job to the ground pounders in some tough country.

Rumors of different teams coming in as early as Sunday. Remember…rumors are just that. Don’t try to out think the folks in the offices.

4 Likes

Going into unified command with Cal Fire, additional Golfs ordered. Heard CF is throwing around the idea of a second base camp In the McCloud area? For the red army???

CAL FIRE Team 5 activated for Hirz…

1 Like

Cal Fire Team 5 activated (whole team)

3 Likes

CIIMT 5 (Young) assumed command of the federal side of the fire today

The view from Redding this afternoon… Column building.

3 Likes

9/5/18 - No longer in Unified Command with CAL Fire, CIIMT Team 5 in Command. Update is 46142 Acres, with 70% Containment. At 06:00 this morning : “Control lines are now around the entire perimeter of the fire, and firefighters will focus on holding and securing these lines, as well as continuing to increase containment. Crews worked overnight to hold various portions of the fire, including the northeast corner along Squaw Valley Creek where the fire has backed down slowly into established control lines. Firefighters are also monitoring several islands of burning vegetation inside the fire perimeter that are relativity close to control lines. Crews will work today to mitigate these areas to ensure they do not compromise established lines. A priority for firefighters today continues to be eliminating all heat and hazards close to the perimeter of the fire. Unneeded equipment and hose will start being removed from the fireline as areas of the fire transition to suppression repair. Crews coordinating with Forest Service resource advisors have already been successful in completing suppression repair and rehabilitation along several contingency lines. This process will continue in the contingency areas, as well as, the areas along the eastern and southern portions of the fire that are contained and cold.”

1 Like