Evacuation warning vs order??

Not an order. A warning.

5 Likes

It’s an order, don’t be foolish

1 Like

I also read Warning

3 Likes

I wouldn’t presume to put words in the Sheriff’s mouth.

5 Likes

Anyone debating a warning vs order needs to take a long look in the mirror if you value your life or anyone else’s. The macho routine isn’t impressive. I’m on this fire and it’s eating.

15 Likes

Mod Note: Ok, that’s enough. There is absolutely no reason or cause to get into some heated or protracted debate between an Evac Warning and an Evac Order

33 Likes

DVMFire well said. After the last several years of catastrophic fires and loss of life if you feel you need to sit in your home and debate a warning vs an order, you definitely need to do some rethinking. The longer you wait the more you put others in harms way and increase the chance of causing delays. We all know the roadways over there. There isn’t many escape routes and the longer you wait the more of a chance that you’ll cause problems for everyone trying to escape.

4 Likes

A somewhat heated discussion over warning vs order issued to residents in front of this thing started in the other Dixie forum and I didn’t want to add on that thread because I feel only the original post telling us it was issued belongs there, the rest of the thread belongs here (if anywhere) as a discussion. Anyway, my experience with the City of Redding only taking the Carr fire seriously late in the 4th quarter taught me not to depend on any agency to provide adequate warning, but instead to seek up to date info on my own. Some of the posts say basically to take a warning like an order and GTFO. I agree and even think it should be earlier. The police evacuating Mary Lake when the first house caught fire and poorly planned (or unplanned?) traffic control resulted in a huge traffic jam. A motor home would die on the evac route and suddenly half your already insanely jammed two lanes were one. People started to panic. It wasn’t pretty. So I say to the people ahead of the Dixie Fire… People, pets, essentials, leave, pray, be alive tomorrow to cry your house was lost or saved, thank the firefighters for saving it or working so hard to try.

13 Likes

Hi High

I was trying to tie it into hey everyone up there affected by the Dixie fire, don’t wait, go ASAP! Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely don’t want to carry on the original debate, just mentioned how it prompted me to say what I thought about waiting too long.

1 Like

Plain and simple, be smart evacuate at a warning, better to be safe than sorry.

4 Likes

I understand. As some have said, treating a warning as a mandatory isn’t a bad idea. What’s the worst that happens? You come back to find everything intact and you were inconvenienced. Vs the alternative.

Feel free to setup a new thread though!

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion everyone looking nervous I didn’t intend for anything to grow a life of it’s own looking for an exit

2 Likes

When are the general public going to learn just listen to the professionals. We know what we are doing! To play the second guessing game is a gamble. There is a reason all the planning and forethought are considered for an evacuation order, or warning. It isn’t decided lightly or just because someone wants to inconvenience the public. I’ve been on several fires where people thInk they can take care of themselves only to call later for assistance in evacuating. It always ends up putting themselves and firefighters in harms way for something that could have been avoided If they would have listened in the beginning. It’s about avoiding unnecessary risk in an already risky situation. If you are told to go, go! Period! Help us help you!

5 Likes

I wouldn’t go as far as to say trust the professionals hands down, I have personally experienced a mandatory evacuation and the closest the fire came was just over 8 miles away

8 Likes

Sometimes they need to move people from an area for access points, equipment, and staging … in preparation for what maybe coming or where they need to go.

1 Like

Here is the standard terminology for California from OES.CAL OES Standard Evacuation Terminology.pdf (470.3 KB) Hope this clears things up.

6 Likes

We can have this discussion ad nauseum but we are not the warning, order audience. The general public is the audience. We also know that many people don’t care about a warning or order, they are going to stay to protect their property and homes. So, we can talk about it but I wouldn’t waste a lot of air talking to firefighters about it. It’s certainly an important topic just wrong audience. My 2 cents!

10 Likes

Evacuating isn’t always a walk in the park for a lot of people. Add the fact that many people have been evacuated so many times without issues to their property and they begin to get over it.

7 Likes

Complacency is NOT AN OPTION. But we know that here :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

One of the key things that exemplified on the Camp Fire 2018 and the Woosley Fire 2018 was the need to plan for not only a primary but secondary and tertiary escape route in your plan. In many of these events, the movement of people, both into and out of the fire zones are slower than the event is evolving. These two examples are prime examples of both Urban and Rural settings where the event was rapidly outpacing the need to move people and resources throughout the zones.

13 Likes