GOES-17 (Outage)

In what sounds like beginning of a horror movie… all bands on GOES17 are down and the satellite has gone into safehold mode. It already had issues with numerous bands during times of the day… so there might be no fix.

Update: multiple GOES satellites had issues last night.

6 Likes

Uh oh…send a repair man? Elon Musk? In all seriousness…losing GOES-17 would a real bad deal for west coast intel

4 Likes

The Fireguard asset has much better spatial resolution although this could be a bummer we have other means that are actually better. This will have to be replaced though.

2 Likes

From Space News - 6/25:

SAN FRANCISCO – The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced plans June 25 to move its geostationary weather satellite scheduled to launch in December into an operational role “as soon as possible.”

NOAA’s Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite, GOES-T, will replace the GOES-17 satellite in the GOES West position because of problems with the satellite’s main instrument, the Advanced Baseline Imager (ABI), according to a NOAA news release.

Link here for full article

Wiki page on “GOES-T” here

5 Likes

Per RAMMB SLIDER the outage is unplanned

December is a long way away as well

4 Likes

NOAA Sat Ops updates General Satellite Messages - Office of Satellite and Product Operations

4 Likes

For reader’s convenience, I’ll post latest updates:
" Update #7: GOES-17 recovery is in progress. The anomaly has been addressed. Engineers are working towards a full recovery. Instrument data is expected to be restored over night."

4 Likes

Dang they are on it. That update 7 wasn’t there when I posted the link. Best friend is in the “industry” of sorts, helped put up a JPSS bird (might have that wrong) and now analyzes sensor data for accuracy. I soak as much as I can, and still only understand 10% of what he does. He helped interpret the newer viirs data on the Camp Fire and how it can help in the future. A lot of intelligence and passion go with these satellites and instruments.

2 Likes

As of 7/22/21 10:53 PM PDT:
Update #9: Magnetometer has been restored and data is flowing. Other instruments status is TBD

Update #8: The Safe Hold Mode has been exited. Safe Hold recovery continues with instruments coming online soon. Total recovery TBD.

5 Likes

As of 7/23/21 8:25 AM PDT, last update is:
Update #10: G17 recovery operations is still ongoing.

seems to be back online and working again :+1: :+1:

with a lot smoke of Covering Northern CA and western NV

4 Likes

Here’s the link to the technical side of things if interested

General Satellite Messages - Office of Satellite and Product Operations (noaa.gov)

Lot’s of updates to wade through if you have the desire.

At least it’s back up - for now.

EDIT: Ah, whoops… I see Jake posted earlier. Sorry for the duplicate.

4 Likes

Just to tie this up… last update messages they posted:
Update #15: GOES-17 space craft recovery is complete.

Update #14: The SUVI instrument has been restored to normal operations and products are flowing.

Update #13: The EXIS instrument has been restored to normal operations and products are flowing.

Update #12: SEISS and GLM products have been restored and will be degraded for some time.

Update #11: GRB has been restored and ABI-L1B and MAG products are now processing to PDA. Other Science data recovery still ongoing.

5 Likes