Instructions to find IAP and Maps for most incidents

Info for everyone so you can find the information you need such as IAPs, Maps, and Demob plans for the majority of the incidents you respond to after the first few operational periods. This will work for both state and federal fires, and is the same information you would receive at base camp.

The Following will work for every fire once a team is assigned:

1. go to the NIFC FTP server website.( ftp.wildfire.gov)
  2. click on incident specific data
  3. select your region (CALIF_N or CALIF_S)
  4. select 2020 federal or Calfire then 2020
  5. select your incident

you now have all the daily products, usually before the incident BOX links are even updated.

9 Likes

Good idea starting a separate thread for this. I have created a page that links to many of the useful web sites that I garnered from these forums over the years, including the NIFC FTP site, satellite heat detections, weather and smoke links, and the AlertWildfire cams.

15 Likes

I wonder if there is a way to get a “Links” link on the main menu bar… Mods?
Could be a useful way to clean up the Q & D threads with unnecessary questions looking for specific links

3 Likes

People have been asking alot, so here’s the annual bump on how to find the…

The URL changed to ftp.wildfire.gov

6 Likes

The recent activity in this thread reminded me that I hadn’t updated my links page for 2021. Got around to it this morning. The page below links to many of the useful web sites that I have garnered from these forums over the years, including the NIFC FTP site (maps and IAP’s), satellite heat detections, weather and smoke links, and the AlertWildfire cams.

5 Likes

can you throw in my google drive for ATAK maps?

maps.takserver.us

3 Likes

created tiny.cc redirects for all the calfire teams.

tiny.cc/calfireimt(enter team number)

this will take to their current incident public facing folder.

example - https://tiny.cc/calfireimt6

1 Like

Added links on the main page for ATAK maps and CalFire IMT boxes. Also added a link to CalTopo.

It is Password Protected

Interesting how all incident data is available on the “public” FTP site, however the IAP downloads are password protected.
This is supposed to be public information. Freedom of Information Act request is in order here.

What possible use would the IAP be to the general public? We get great maps and analysis, news, and photos here, from interested and knowledgeable posters, why do we need the IAP?

We don’t.

1 Like

The words, “Controlled Unclassified Information/Basic” appear multiple times on a IAP. That is the basis for not posting. I have not read the below, so I don’t really have a great idea how it applies.

Do you have a link to where it’s supposed to be public data and how that applies to CUI/B? It’s certainly not my area of expertise.

Not once have I had the desire/need to look at an IAP from an incident I am not on. I also do not post any IAPs I am responsible for producing on the FTP site

2 Likes

there is personnel information sometimes in the IAP folks telephone number

4 Likes

IAP’s include personal information for resources and assigned personnel. There are also emergency procedures, frequencies and contact information which does not need to be floating around to the general public.

I’ve been on numerous incidents over the years where this information was misused by the public and hampered incident operations.

3 Likes

Thanks Fish for the info. If I cant sleep tonight I will struggle through the government double talk…
This link was posted earlier regarding access to FTP site data:
https://ftp.wildfire.gov/public/incident_specific_data/great_basin/2021_Incidents/2021_Tamarack/

Thank you for this!!

FOIA is just as misunderstood as HIPPA.

If you want to find out what’s in the IAP you could file a FOIA request for one, pay the appropriate fees and in 3-6 months you’ll probably get it. It is a gov’t produced document. Personnel info does not prevent FOIA. It just gets redacted (add a couple of weeks to the process). Same with the CUI/B info if there is any actually in there. It would also be redacted (add a couple of weeks to the process).

The only way to actually prevent an agency from not preventing distribution in the beginning is through a court order ($$$$ and add a couple of years) or a change in policy. FOIA has nothing to due with either.

All that being said, the plans section on this team probably is pretty busy and does not want to decide what is and isn’t for public consumption and has decided to decide this later (if any one cares 3 months from now). Some plans section chief are ok with it being released some are not, luck of the draw. Possibly a way to get current policy changed is to contact the local congressional representative the fire is under (ha ha ha).

1 Like

I prefer to see the IAP. It has more detailed information. When the PIO gives his morning report you know exactly what/where he is talking about.

1 Like

Can someone help me understand why the cloud application, “box,” is being used by team 6? Checking NIFC FTP site, the folder structure for Caldor is there however all information is old (yesterday…seems like forever!). None of the new material that Team 6 has created (in conjunction with SRAHIMT 3) is located in the NIFC FTP site. Is this a preference with Cal State teams? OR…will the NIFC FTP site be used as well, (in duplication) for the FED side?? Just looking for the right location to pull info from in the future. Thanks!