North Ops Weather-2023

The burned areas are almost totally regrown with heavy grass and brush crops. Older burns like Kincade have a lot of dead and down which helps slow runoff and trap sediment. Many of the areas burned with low-moderate severity in the first place. It’s not a given that the burns had any measurable effect on the recent flooding.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks for your observations. Perceptions can often run counter to intuitions. It seems clear the big yellow indicates less severe hazard, re: Kincade. I’m sure your competent, but I look at Alexander and Napa valleys and it continues to strike me that there just ain’t no place else for the stormwater to go. I think keeping the watches up was wise.

If you happen to do a work examining the fireshed, or the fireshed around Carmel Valley, I think there is a lot of interest in that type of study tour for the vegetation types and consequential issues.

2016 Soberanes Fire (still a factor in the Santa Lucia Range?)

A quick look at reported landslides and the absence of footprint display in the nominal PWFDF display suggests that this fireshed is no longer ‘in the black’. Some people call this area ‘remote’, but we should know better. It’s not a long drive, its the roads.

New landslide discovered along Hwy 1 blocking road (ksby.com)

2 Likes

6 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Sonora snow this morning. Depending where your at snow was between 2 to 4 inches and more as you go up in elevation on HWY 108. My kid says 6 inches in Twain Harte.

5 Likes

So far a bust, very light around Grass Valley. They are saying it will be heavy tonight.

1 Like

We had snow stick down to 500 ft elevation last night and this morning around Millerton lake, I was definitely surprised to see some snow on the ground at table mountains golf course when I was my work truck. Stopped to see if it was hail or snow and it was snow.

4 Likes

That’s a pretty low snow. Looks like unsettled weather for another week or so. Spitting a sleet/snow mix right now, it’s cold out.

3 Likes

8" and still coming in Redding. Snowmageddon 2023.
Zero wind so the snow loading is minimal and the trees are still clearing themselves. Gonna be a mess though!

8 Likes

3 Likes

This is one way to get around chain control. Hope Valley on Hwy 88 on Wednesday. 7000 elevation.

7 Likes

He got snow tires for sure.

4 Likes