CA-BTU-Dixie?

The lightning fire on Morgan Mtn just above the 36/89 last I heard was 20 acres. They had resources rolling since ignition was practically witnessed, but no roads and generally steep, so slow going.

This is one of the main factors for the mandatory evac of Mill Creek, potentially cutting off 36 and forcing the entire community out the back end of 172, which is not a road you want to escape on at 1am in thick smoke.

9 Likes

Yea I assume repopulation efforts would be based on good escape routes out if it goes bad. We’re hamstrung with the highways in the area due to the topography. I was hanging on a thread waiting for the structure report in Deer Creek, we lucked out with the Black Forest Lodge. Hand crews did some incredible work in there.

We were defensible, Mill Creek is difficult to defend.

1 Like

do we assume fixed wing handled the containment?

We never assume fixed wing or any aircraft handles containment. Aircraft is a great thing, but we always put boots on the ground.

7 Likes

Looks like there was about 4,000 acres of spread on the west and NE sides of Coyote Peak last night.
Looks like fire spread about a mile east along the flank where it met up with the 2020 Sheep Fire.
Anybody know if there has been a firing op off of Willard Creek Rd?

9 Likes

I’m sorry, I know fixed wing is one of many tools, rotary as well as far as aircraft. I figured fixed wing would be suited based on the wind conditiontioms for initial containment/contingency. Of course lines would have to be made by hand crews based on the topography to actually contain. I know that area, dozers would be tough but not impossible.

2 Likes

A request to those who are newer, less tenured, or who have just joined this site. One of the Mods posted a helpful reminder in the General Discussion section about reposting certain types of media.

If that surprised you then you may want to take a quick visit to the guidelines of the community. This is not a typical Facebook style place or a place for chat. You will find a high number of subject matter experts, fire service leaders, and very technically adept fire science and fire behavior experts who participate because it is about wildland Fire “Intelligence.” That typically means it should be vetted and validated for accuracy, non-sensitive, and related to the topic." The guidelines are here:
https://forums.wildfireintel.org/guidelines#keep-tidy

Finally, to help those who may not realize it, many of the questions you would like to ask but might be afraid to have already been answered in the General Discussion section. Topics such as where to find IAPs, maps, IMT information, terminology, etc., are all in that section.

33 Likes

Per morning briefing, the PIO stated that it is holding at 31%, and over 6100 people are assigned.

3 Likes

Super nerd status achieved. But good intel. Cell sites being effected is definitely going to slow response times for pending 911 emergencies.

7 Likes

Anyone know what’s going on today in the Lassen Sector, Division P and R (branch 13? Or maybe it’s 16? I looked at the map this morning but it didn’t stick) No cell service there so no updates coming in…hoping someone on here has heard some chatter. Tia

2 Likes

New evacuations.

1 Like

1 Like

Keeping a close eye on the east side today, looks like it’s starting to heat up

3 Likes

22 days ago Zeke (Pyrogeography) discussed this beast threading the needle between the Sheep and Walker burn scars… and here we are.

15 Likes

Are you in a position to see what is going on in that area? Is this beast going to threaten Susanville? Do you see anything going on in Susanville?

2 Likes

Also could have some room to move between the Sheep and the Hog. The Willard was fairly well cleared on private, so hopefully that helps. But the Devil was reburned in spots during the Willard, so who knows.

2 Likes

I believe that same statement was said on Main Street in Greenville.

24 Likes

It was a long ways from Greenville and Canyondam. Where there is fuel, this fire has found away.

7 Likes

There is definitely something going on in Susanville, this is the fallout raining down at the ICP

16 Likes

Look at Today’s IAP
SUSANVILLE BRANCH should tell you it’s not as far as you think.
Especially if you consider the run that occurred 11 days ago.

11 Likes

And here comes the wind…

3 Likes