CA-MNF-August Complex???

Ok. Thanks for that clarification!

As soon as the smoke inversion lifted and the south transport winds kicked in, the Hopkins fire in the far NW of complex has taken off, both visible and Shortwave IR on GOES 17. They expect the same over the TGU Elkhorn and the Doe fire this afternoon once the sun reaches the fire. Going to definitely test some lines today, and hopefully not have to go get a bigger map…

Some critical RAWS to watch for the north side

• Eagle Peak - should represent conditions on August DIV D/Elkhorn Div WW/YY. (currently 82, ESE 3G7)
  • IRAWS on Soldier Ridge, showing conditions on August DIV C, and the south side of Hopkins. (Currently 83, RH15, S7G16)
  • PGE Mendo Pass should show any midslope influence up the Middle Fork Eel River, along the M1 road, and DIV A.
  • Mendo Pass RAWS is near DP-1, and will represent ridgetop conditions along DIV V and near Anthony Peak. Being on the ridge right between two significant east-west aligned drainages, this station always shows the inflow/outflow breathing between marine and valley influence.
6 Likes

Thanks pyrogeography for providing additional details for BEAR Teams. I’m sure they also provide additional details of hazards, animal finds, and updated logistics to complete their work. Their work has long-term benefits, and they don’t get enough credit in my book.

5 Likes

Last hour time lapse from Patton Hill2 Alert Wildfire Cam is pretty impressive.

Link to Alert Wildfire: http://www.alertwildfire.org/northcoast/index.html?camera=Axis-Patton2&v=81e002f

5 Likes

Waky waky.

2 Likes

Quick notes from the day while bouncing around…

Division Oscar has abandoned the line (the line at Lake Pillsbury). Not sure if O itself had a slop, because the line is black on the Ops map and MODIS/VIIRS is clean there. However Div R up the the west side has MODIS/VIIRS hits well outside last night’s IR map and swinging south. Lots of resource requests for structure protection group in Lake Pillsbury. Currently AA and two T1 rotor working the slop on DIV R north of Lake Pillsbury to bide some time. Remaining aircraft all on the MEU-Oak.

Hopkins Fire has had a significant spot fire on the north side that popped up on the IR flight for the 5th, and then air attack eyeballed it in the morning and said it’s running hard. The lat/lon Air Attack gave at the time was N40 13.240 W123 05.990. Well established on last night’s IR and today’s latest MODIS/VIIRS. It appears it has crested into the South Fork Trinity River drainage. I talked with an observer with eyes on that spot last night, mentioned flame lengths double the timber height, isolated and group torching at times, at 11pm.

Entire complex is feeling the north winds since late morning.

8 Likes

Thanks for your informative update. Lots going on there but kind of drops off the radar with all the new activity.

1 Like

Thank you…I am concerned about the wind sure

Thanks Jake, I suspect we will see some exponential growth if the weather materializes .

2 Likes

Taken just now from I-5

1 Like

Any updates on whether the fire made a run down towards Lake Pillsbury?

Thanks.

Do you have any updates

1 Like
1 Like

The Hopkins fire in the Yolla Bolly wilderness in this complex got up and ran north and west today. Burned thru the 3 forks area south of Ruth lake on the Six Rvers forest. Heading for Ruth and west to Zenia and Kettenpom now. No perimeter control possible, just limited point protection at structures, even then, many burned there today. Big evacuation area moving folks out now, but very limited cell service and wifi in that area, no landlines. If you live there heed the evacuation orders, no ones going to be able to get in there to rescue you. If you’re assigned to the fire, stay heads up and keep your escape routes.Very little areas are safety zones in that big timber…

7 Likes

Ruth RAWS will be just 1 mile from the north head after today’s run to the north and west.

https://raws.dri.edu/cgi-bin/rawMAIN.pl?caCRUT

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2020 IMT Discussion

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2020 IMT Discussion

Is there another thread for this? A continuing incident thread? Not finding one. I know there have been many merges.

Also are there recommended scanner (I use Broadcastify) channels for the August Complex?

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

My ScanCal online scanner is covering the August on 2nd priority to the TGU-Elkhorn, which is rapidly diminishing here on the east side and switching over to SHF/SRF nets. It’s an independent mp3 stream and not Broadcastify.

And this is the thread for the MNF-August.

The Southern Blue team is transitioning out today and Great Basin Team 2 is picking this up tomorrow.

3 Likes