CA-SHF-Hirz??

I can’t seem to find an updated local news this mornin, anybody have an updated link for today’s briefing? Tyia

1 Like

Shasta-Trinity has been posting it on their Facebook page

1 Like

Not saying for sure that this is the case, but there is a history of the very big money on the east side of the McCloud River making some phone calls when there is a potential threat and there is a big response from CAL Fire whether the possibility is real or not. A lot of Friends of Jerry in that area and that may be the reason. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Fake News… Just portions of the C & G. Per email from CF Executive.

“To provide clarification to the field, CAL FIRE Incident Management Team 5 has not been activated. Incident Commander, and various key Command and General positions have been requested to enter into Unified Command on the Hirz Incident”

1 Like

You willing to place a wager on how long it’s only C&G… I bet not.

1 Like

No but just stating current facts from our department

1 Like

A lot of Hirz looks like low-moderate severity on the satellite imagery. Any comments from people who have been seeing it on the ground?
Image from 8/23/2018.

Source: https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-browser/?lat=40.93707&lng=-122.31886&zoom=13&time=2018-08-23&preset=6-SWIR&gain=1.0&gamma=1.0&datasource=Sentinel-2%20L1C

Reminder that feds go 14 days. This means tomorrow or Monday all that started at the beginning of this incident are timing out. Not that I know much about the big reasons nor why it should matter who is doing what on what fire discussions but I do know there is a Castle up there on mcloud river, & as of when I spoke to hubby earlier before he went out it has not crossed the river & their burn ops kicked butt & was huge. His words. Curtis Coots is timing out I believe as is my hubby & his crew after Sunday night shift. He also mentioned young is stepin in? Idk Just had to throw my two cents in.

1 Like

Rick Young is the Incident Commander of California Interagency Incident Management Team 5 (Federally sponsored team). If C & G from a CALFIRE Team show up, they will work good together. Team 5 has a solid Ops group and excellent Liaison Officers. This fire has a high level of interest, high values, lots of politics and working together the Feds and State will put this thing to bed.

6 Likes

That_guy- is the whole team deployment confirmed? Had heard they were asked to split the team.

Started with just C&G staff but was told it’s a full a activation now. Still hearing rumor of a red base camp possibly in Mccloud. Not sure how the dynamics will work out, also heard if CF pulls the pin they want to order 10 limas 10 charlies and 10 golf on top of what is already assigned.

Here is a satellite view of the fire from yesterday.

And a closer view of the types of fuels it is burning in.

Composite image showing fire severity - hot burns in the chaparral, lower intensity in the closed-canopy timber.

Also looks like the fire is burning hot in heavy slash in some of the clearcuts on the SRA.

It is understandable that CAL FIRE wants to keep the fire out of the commercial timberlands/plantations, but so far, it looks like the fire has done a lot of good work putting mixed-severity fire on the ground in lands that are mixed brush, oak, and conifer, and (for the most part, so far) not actively managed for timber.
In our inability to get large-scale prescribed fire on the ground, wildfire is doing a lot of the heavy lifting of fuels management for us. There is a lot of debate about direct vs indirect tactics, but we’ve got to remember that the Federal land management agencies have a lot of different management objectives (wildlife, biodiversity, recreation, cultural resources, etc) than CAL FIRE does, and to me, this fire looks like it has a lot of good land management outcomes so far.

10 Likes

Any word on what’s going on this fire.

Smoke impacts north of Dunsmuir are significant, Mt Shasta isn’t visible from Mcloud ICP

We’re still receiving daily requests to fill overhead positions on this incident, as I’m assuming people are starting to time-out. Most of the other incidents where we have sent equipment and overhead have returned them to our area. Time to take a breath… NorCal expected to heat up again starting tomorrow😟. It’s still early Summer conditions out there folks!

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: CA-SHF-HIRZ

Where is the ICP? I know you said McCloud but where is this?

Old McCloud sawmill 909 Mill Rd

1 Like

Maps
https://ftp.nifc.gov/public/incident_specific_data/calif_n/!2018_FEDERAL_Incidents/CA-SHF-001223_Hirz/GIS/Products/Mobile_Maps/

2 Likes

Anyone have any Intel? The Modis hits look like the burnout operation slopped to the west in a big way, and there’s a good column visible from Mt. Shasta.