Emerging Technology

Cradlepoint does that as well as sierra wireless but you have to have coverage.

Iridium has a deal with DHS that they are going to pass on to state/local govt for the use of their network for the somewear labs devices which are ATAK compatible. 800 bucks a year for unlimited use. That is a very reasonable cost considering all the things you can do over it. DHS still working on the details but this is a very cool deal.

1 Like

@DC3075 deploying a somewear on the KNF-River Complex

2 Likes

So this is not like emerging tech really but more about distributing data at the ICP specifically the map products that the team produces.

As you may know I am a map nerd. I create data packages for fires and put them on a google drive for sharing. I hear a lot of times that cell service is bad, the wifi in camp is locked down or is poor etc. and they cant get the map products from FTP or from my google drive.

What needs to occur in camp is Local Area Network (LAN) file server. I have seen some Fed Type 2 teams doing this sort of thing because many times they are posted up in the middle of nowhere.
Like most things techy you could go extreme with a LAN with a file server on dedicated computer and multiple wireless access points around camp. If you have the IT support and hardware go for it. If you dont you could spend 39 bucks on this little device from RavPower called the FileHub There are other companies that make these and they also call them Travel Routers across the industry. TPLink is a popular one. Look for one that has an internal battery or can be powered by USB so you arent limited on where you put it.

This little device creates its own LAN with wifi, you can plug in an SD card or USB stick with your map products, kmls etc on it and have people connect in camp and download the content locally. I hooked up 9 devices simultaneously in my office and downloaded a 100mb ATAK Data Package within seconds. These have an internal battery and you could post them up in camp where ever you wanted.

People hook to the network then you could have a QR code that points them to the server. You can also use the RavPower App on your phone, either way you are not relying on a crappy or overwhelmed cellular connection or fiber/copper internet connection with not enough bandwidth to get the data you need. You could put many of these around the briefing area, feeding area etc to get the products out.

Just wanted to throw this out there to the Team IT and SITLs if they are struggling with getting digital products out to folks.

7 Likes

I’m no ITSS, but don’t a lot of routers have a USB port that can act as a file server? Sounds like a good use of an older router.

I think at one point I bought a WiFi USB drive to do exactly this, but I never got around to actually using it for that.

@Fish yup lots ways to skin this cat. The little travel routers are pretty sweet because they can be powered either by an internal battery if they have them or a USB battery brick so you dont have to find a power source to put it somewhere.

2 Likes

I’d love to know how to get dozer lines drawn too. I’ve spent hours drawing them in by hand from the ops maps.

1 Like

We do this on TREX events using a Windows Laptop. They all have a setting that allows them to be used as a webserver - all you need is a wireless router and then a folder on the Desktop becomes something like a FTP site. Have also set it up on Android tablets. Takes a ton of pressure off of often-strained local internet. I’ve got a writeup somewhere is anyone is interested.

2 Likes

I’m interested.

Type 1 Incidents have IT services but not sure they are getting tasked to serve this need. As our incidents are getting larger and larger and ops folks are using more and more of digital data this really is a need. Hoping the SIT community can work with the IT folks to make this happen. Until then think about the ideas posted here to make your own adhoc file server.

Hi Zeke. Based on your reply to me (thank you for that) about the dozer lines I figured out how to use QGIS to extract the “event line” AKA dozer lines into caltopo. The lines show up as a thin red line by default. I see how to change a single line to X’s like dozer lines are shown, but there are dozens… hundred(s)?.. of individual data entries to change. I can’t see how to change them all at once. Any suggestions? I’d be happy to write up a how-to with screen shots or even a video on this process. [Edit: Aha! Found the Bulk Ops at the bottom of the list… ]

2 Likes

OK so far I have list of the steps to get dozer lines into CalTopo. You can also import them into Google Earth. It’s a first draft, it’s late, may have a typo here and there… zzzz
Using QGIS to filter fire data and import into CalTopo.draft_2.082421.pdf (102.3 KB)

7 Likes

I see these IR images from “The Lookout” all over… Does anyone know why they don’t post their maps with a North orient? Just curious…

Because it gives you a better idea of the terrain the fire is working in. Plus it has a marker showing you where north is anyways.

3 Likes

There is usually a compass in the upper right corner that will give you the direction for North. In order for the 3D feature to work well, one needs to rotate the view so you look at it from different directions. I also find it disorienting, but with the compass, I’ve learned to work with it.

1 Like

Yes, I do use google earth a lot. But I am north oriented in my brain. It is easier for me when working in google earth to swing around the perspective to a north oriented look, periodically, to keep it relative (to me) to the proximity. I was just curious when uploading the photo’s why they do not change them to north. I am lost with out my compass. ( pun intended )

3 Likes

The Lookout here. Getting a lot of comments about making North-up maps on Twitter, too… Not in a hurry to do it. It just doesn’t have the same visual impact. I pick each angle to tell a story of how the fire is moving, especially in deep canyons. I’ll try to throw in a few more north-ups, and am working on adding more placenames, but kind of am just in survival mode throwing out dozens of maps in short order, a one-man map shop at the moment.

26 Likes

A big THANK YOU

3 Likes

Your maps are great Zeke thank you for all your work! I agree with your sentiments of being able to get a better understanding of the topography by shifting the perspective and getting to check out the different aspects is very handy, generally only takes a quick check of the compass to get oriented! Thanks again!

7 Likes

Have you thought about volunteer help or internships for supporting The Lookout?
The website has been up for like a whole month already shouldn’t you have a support team by now /s?

2 Likes

Where would I be able to find high resolution post-fire imagery?